PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Digital Camera

Keith
03-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Modelled this ages ago but thought I'd share it anyway...
Keith

Keith
03-12-2003, 07:36 PM
and another...

Matt
03-12-2003, 09:38 PM
very nice indeed!

as a product designer I like seeing this kind of work, there's only
so many rigged characters and cars one can take!!

;)

starbase1
03-13-2003, 01:49 AM
Very nice metal textures indeed - how about some clues as to how you did them?

Nick

badgerboy
03-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Hey! That's my camera. javascript:smilie(';)')

Nice job, however, some of the materials on the face of the camera are more matte in real life. And the zoom lens tunnel thing (as you can see I'm very technical) is not so shiny.;)

Keith
03-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

You're right badgerboy, the textures are not exactly like the real McCoy (I have one too) but it was close enough for me :)

Nick, there's nothing particularly special about my texture settings. fyi, to achieve the brushed aluminium look I actually grabbed an image of lightwave interface background (see below).
I applied this to the colour, diffuse and bump channels to varying extents. I used image editor to make a high contrast version of this image and used it for the specular channel. I added a small amount of reflection and used a reflection blurring setting of 50%. I added the fast fresnel shader in the diffuse, spec and reflec channels.
I also use a spherical reflection map - a greyscale version of the chrome.tga file that comes with lightwave. Hope this helps?

Keith

bbowman
03-13-2003, 03:52 PM
I like it. What kind of lighting rig did you use? Is it radiosity or a spinning light trick?

Keith
03-13-2003, 05:03 PM
err neither. Lighting is 20 shaddow mapped spots plus one distant for specular. Spinning them would have made the shadows nicer though, I think the multiple shaddows that I've got look naff. Render time for these pics was about 7 minutes per (on an Athlon1800+).
Try using the luxigon plugin in modeller to create nice arrays of lights.
Cheers,
Keith

starbase1
03-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks for sharing the tips! the straightforward tips are my favourites!

I'll take a look at the luxigons too - I have not played with those yet.

Nick

renatolazzaroni
03-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Keith
I think the multiple shaddows that I've got look naff

Have you tried shadowless spotlights ? There aren't that many projected shadows on the object anyway, only from the lens. For that, leave a shadow on one light only.
On the other hand, the model is superb, don't you think it deserves a little radiosity render ? I, for one, would like to see one.
Just a couple of thoughts. All in all, great pic... and thanks for the tips.

Renato

Epita
03-14-2003, 08:50 AM
uh wha?

looks great nice relections on the floor and camera!

Epita (whats spellng again)

Schwing
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Nice model and I like your lighting. The only thing that's distracting to me are all the shadows on your base/floor.

Keith
03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
ok, due to popular demand I've spun the spotlights to get rid of the ugly shadows. Render time now 40 mins due to increased aa and non-cached shadow maps. Should have posted in wip I guess!
Cheers,
Keith

Schwing
03-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Very nice. Worth the 40 min redering time.;)

anieves
03-17-2003, 12:35 PM
oh, very nice, since you are spinning the lights maybe you can get rid of half of them and to render time and see the results you get.

DarkMoon
03-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Stoopid question:

Whats the "spining light" trick?

Thanx

Schwing
03-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Darkmoon:

I thought the LW site had some info on this, but I couldn't find it. This may help.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/Tutorials_index.html

Keith:

Any chance you could post a wire of your image?