PDA

View Full Version : LW8 per frame IK

Librarian
02-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi all. LW8 has a 'by frame ik', is that right?
Does it mean I can animate, let`s say an arm, with IK from frame 1 -10, use FK for the arm from 11-20, and 21-xx again with IK?

siproductions
02-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I have no idea, but if you could that would be neat.

wacom
02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Librarian
Hi all. LW8 has a 'by frame ik', is that right?
Does it mean I can animate, let`s say an arm, with IK from frame 1 -10, use FK for the arm from 11-20, and 21-xx again with IK?

I think this was one of the new touted features of LW8 at Siggraph.

ngrava
02-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Yep. I saw it in the Siggraph feeds. Works like Motion Builder and Mirai where you can "Pin" joints in space at any point in the animation. By far the feature I am most looking forward to.

-=GB=-

hrgiger
02-16-2004, 01:41 AM
I hope so, an FK/IK blend is a joy to work with.

CB_3D
02-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Hopefully you can pin items to each other, not only in space!

ngrava
02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Hopefully you can pin items to each other, not only in space!

That's exactly what I was wondering about too. The other thing I was wondering about is, As you scroll through an animation, do the joints show their current state? In other words, do they turn red when they have been pinned and clear when they're not throughout the animation? This is one issue I had with Motion Builder and Mirai. You can't tell just by looking at the animation when you pinned an object. I sure hope this is the case.

Has anyone else noticed that IK Booster seems like a feature that people just don't seem to 'Get' how cool it's going to be? It's probably because there's very little information about how it works. If you didn't see the Siggraph feeds then all you might know is that it's just easer to set up. I recently saw someone suggest that it's just the bone dynamics plugin. Setup and dynamics are only a small portion of what it's capable of. Another issue is that Proton hasn't really "shown" in his little preview vids what it can do other then setup and dynamics. Oh, he drags an octopus around... A little. I really think we need a demo vid of joint "Fixing".

I have a theory that the reason we haven't seen that much about IK Booster is that they are having a lot of issues with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was what was holding up Version 8.

-=GB=-