PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 looking like end of first quarter

themaxx
02-12-2004, 09:47 PM
I spoke to someone at Newtek today and asked about LW8. They told me it had been pushed back to first quarter 04, and when pressed for something more specific they said "looks like end of first quarter".

Beamtracer
02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
That's good to know. Possibly around the end of March.

Maybe that person on telephone support will get told off for releasing confidential information! :eek:

Hervé
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
cool, so it does not look too long....; like what ? a month and a half..? yeah !! let's wait !

inquisitive
02-12-2004, 11:04 PM
:( :( :(

jr_sunshine
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
I hate it when I'm right.

I guess it's NAB for release.

This sucks... BIG TIME !!!!!!!

Hervé
02-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Roy, I know it sukz, but as you know, if it does not kill you , it'll make you stronger....

Ade
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Im prepared now to wait for LW 8.5 with promised modeling specific advancments now...

badllarma
02-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
I hate it when I'm right.

I guess it's NAB for release.

This sucks... BIG TIME !!!!!!!

Come on really if you think about it if your finally going to release a product it may as well be as something like NAB for all the press coverage.

Deep down I think we all know it was likley to be then.
Just wish I know last year so I could of had a holiday instead of buying it :rolleyes:

My thoughts are now with the .01? -.0.5? release to see once we have caught up with the others in the market, how the product is going to get better than them? :)

CB_3D
02-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
Just wish I know last year so I could of had a holiday instead of buying it :rolleyes:

you´re not alone...

inquisitive
02-13-2004, 02:28 AM
same here, my upgrade is paid for, has been paid for quite a while ... i dont even remember for how long :(

Hervé
02-13-2004, 02:34 AM
lesson 1

Never play the banker for anybody.....;) :D

Emmanuel
02-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Exept Your mom :)))

But isn't this quite new, I thought NAB was for Toaster and Sig was for LW... ?
Oh well, if they release it for NAB, we'll get 8.5 for Siggraph :D

Hervé
02-13-2004, 03:20 AM
no no, my mom would be the last person I give a cent...... he he:)

Yog
02-13-2004, 03:46 AM
I choose to believe that if LW8 is released at NAB, that it is just coincidental that that is when Newtek finished squashing the bugs.
The alternative is that Newtek are holding back a product that I have already paid for, purely to benefit their marketing profile. This is something I would hate to believe of any company, especially one that has played it so straight in the past.

Basically what I’m saying is that I hope Newtek made a simple mistake at Siggraph when they estimated Q4, and that Chuck really got duff information at Christmas when he said the had “just” missed the deadline, rather than believe that at Christmas they knew they had a “lot” more work to do and didn’t tell us, then decided to hold up shipping the pre-paid product in order to benefit them further.

Like I said, Newtek have always played it straight in the past and I have no reason to think anything has changed. I just wish I believed in coincidences.

P.s. my memory is a little hazey, but wasn't LW7 unexpectedly released at NAB ?

Bytehawk
02-13-2004, 05:22 AM
I thought that was Siggraph
caught us all by surprise

lasco
02-13-2004, 05:28 AM
At least you people who already paid for this update
can enjoy DFX that was given with…:D

Now if some of you are Europeans I'm very sad for you
because dealing is much better nowadays that the dollar is so low :D

…let's wait 2 or 3 months that the dollar falls and at the end
LW 8 will be free for us hahaha !!

lasco
02-13-2004, 05:31 AM
hahahaha !

I see the webpage by advance :

SPECIAL OFFER, LW 8 update for 10 euros (600 dollars) !!!

HAHAHAHA !!

I'll have 50 licences then :D :D :D

Nemoid
02-13-2004, 05:57 AM
That's great!
I could build 50 as well so that i can build my renderfarm! :D

gjjackson
02-13-2004, 06:30 AM
I had thought, or heard, that the original coders of LW had left and went to Luxology. That being the case it would take more time for someone else to come along and rewrite code for an update, since they'd have to get a thorough understanding of the original code. From what I've dealt with I Know that can be a trying ordeal, depending on how well the code is commented.

I went ahead and purchased the Upgrade a couple weeks ago, got DFX. Looks pretty good, but I generally use AE 6 and MB 5.1

Nemoid
02-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Well, I think this its true. no one knows his code better than the programmer itself, and also maybe the original programmers didn't made great comments in the code at the time. W dunno exactly.
But we have a new talented and working hard team, so, what i Think is that this is only the start. maybe Lw will arrive a bit late, for these reasons, but surely will be a new beginning for the app IMO. :)

jevinstudios
02-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Ya know, folks, all this obsession on the LW8 release date, threads hassling NewTek on this issue, etc., are really embarrassing for a supposedly professional community. What is the big deal here?

Many of us have purchased the upgrade and are waiting for the delivery. For my studio, no problem! It'll be released when it's ready, and not before. If more people on this forum were actually spending all this time and energy working with LW and making exceptional CG, just think of how wonderful things would be.....

It's getting extremely tiresome listening to so much whining and complaining on this forum lately. Get to work! Make some Money! Use LightWave and enjoy it while ya got it! Then post some hot images for all to see and turn your complaining into productive results......

I tell ya, if I hadn't been using LW for many years now, and was shopping around for a new package and hit this forum to read what users are saying about this company and it's product, I'd high-tail it outta here and go somewhere else with my business.

We all love this software, and NewTek is one helluva great company that took some heavy knocks last year with their development team switchover. Let's back them up now, stand behind them, and show them what a loyal customer base is really about!

I've changed my tune over the past year, and am 100% behind these cool people. Why? Because in a time where there is so much crap out there on the market, we've got a company right here that is working harder than ever to put the customer first by releasing a real quality product, as bug-free as possible, with some really extraordinary enhancements that will benefit all their users.

Give em a brake and please be patient.

TSpyrison
02-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
Ya know, folks, all this obsession on the LW8 release date, threads hassling NewTek on this issue, etc., are really embarrassing for a supposedly professional community. What is the big deal here?

Many of us have purchased the upgrade and are waiting for the delivery. For my studio, no problem! It'll be released when it's ready, and not before. If more people on this forum were actually spending all this time and energy working with LW and making exceptional CG, just think of how wonderful things would be.....

It's getting extremely tiresome listening to so much whining and complaining on this forum lately. Get to work! Make some Money! Use LightWave and enjoy it while ya got it! Then post some hot images for all to see and turn your complaining into productive results......

I tell ya, if I hadn't been using LW for many years now, and was shopping around for a new package and hit this forum to read what users are saying about this company and it's product, I'd high-tail it outta here and go somewhere else with my business.

We all love this software, and NewTek is one helluva great company that took some heavy knocks last year with their development team switchover. Let's back them up now, stand behind them, and show them what a loyal customer base is really about!

I've changed my tune over the past year, and am 100% behind these cool people. Why? Because in a time where there is so much crap out there on the market, we've got a company right here that is working harder than ever to put the customer first by releasing a real quality product, as bug-free as possible, with some really extraordinary enhancements that will benefit all their users.

Well said sir..

Exper
02-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by jevinstudios

jevinstudios
Well done! :cool:

Nemoid... totally agree... I said many time we should call it: LW[Rebirth]

Bye.

lasco
02-13-2004, 09:10 AM

What's wrong that on a forum dedicated to a software people often discuss
about the next release, especially when it's month late ????????

It's getting extremely tiresome listening to so much whining and complaining on this forum lately.

No-one asked you to read these threads.

If I was too looking for a soft I'd come here and learn many things :
- good points about LW : great Modeler, Great radiosity engine, low price etc.
- but also bad points : yes, it's just true that users here find for example
that the rendering engine is too slow, Yes, it's true that people are waiting and
waiting for LW 8…
so what ?
I personnaly would not trust in a forum about a product if I read only "glad" and happy messages of congrats about the tool…

what a loyal customer base is really about!

most people here ARE loyal customers, very few only come here
just to complain

All right seems you like to give lessons ? Why not after all…

Just mind what means an update in 3D, folk.
Many people here are always pushed in their "limits",
they work very hard to make these cool images you're talking about
and let's admit it, in some ways the tool makes the artist in 3D.
Means that for equal skills you'll go further with some functions,
I personnaly spend days I don't charge to my clients only to try to find
solutions to render animations and not only stills… yes, that's due to
the quite slow rendering engine, I have currently a large project and would consider the way I'll work differently if I knew exactly what LW 8's made of.

And I don't even talk about some people here that are concerned by character
animation (which I'm not), I guess some of them may have projects planed
and know they MUST wait for LW 8 to start really because it's too bad to waste
now days to set rigings / bones /animation or whatever else while they'll be able
to do that in hours… but it's just a question of weeks.

If I was in that case i'd come mad waiting and having projects in stand by…

Now please just see also that most of these discussions that disturbs you are
very correct and respectful, people are impatient and most of time just "play" to guess which function there will be that is not yet on the list…
what function

jevinstudios
02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Lasco --

We all work hard in the ways you mentioned -- I have a 4 day weekend (very well-deserved considering I manage a studio and put in, on average, a 60 hour work week minimum every week) -- and I am spending this weekend learning new software for my studio instead of going out and enjoying myself in the brisk winter air.... But, I also love learning new things, and it helps benefit me financially, so it is all an investment.

My point is that no other professional 3D DCC forum out there has this kind of consistent negativity, and NewTek is extremely tolerant to allow so many posts that are, to say the least, not in the best interest for their product sales.

But, when a community begins stomping up and down like little children demanding "where's my upgrade where's my upgrade where's my upgrade where's my upgrade", this only diminishes the entire LW Community as a whole, and becomes part of the problem and not the solution.

I am just trying to show a little support here, and to (hopefully) get others to rally behind NewTek and let them know we're loyal fans and customers, and always will be -- even when things don't go exactly as planned. And to just be patient and let them do their job -- we'll all be better off in the end for it!

I definitely am not trying to start a flame war here -- just trying to be positive and spur some positive support in return. There are many other forums out there, and you're right -- maybe I should spend more time there instead.....

But, I dread coming back after LW8 is released, and then reading complaints about how it falls short of expectations, etc. Ya just can't pleaze everyone, and those who speak so loudly now in complaint, will most likely find something else to rag about when things are rosey.....

Just dissapointing, that's all. Take it for what it's worth....

lasco
02-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Fact is that here I think people come to talk of things that go together, that are linked.

Yes, spending our time asking when when when is not that usefull I agree with you, but considering things in whole it's something you can't avoid here.

Some people here spend time helping me writing scripts or sharing tips for example, you'll agree that this forum is made for this before all.
Now in return I sometimes also try to help, let's say in compositing as it's
one of my own points. But if I spend hours to write a tuto, talk about it here with
people it's because we together are trying to improve our renderings etc.
AND it's because we miss features in the soft (which is regular, no tool can give you everything that you want)…

But it's also regular that we at the same time come here to ask for the damn
feature that lacks because we'd like sometimes not to always try to find tips
and fakes…

cheers

TSpyrison
02-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I think NT knows that we want the software ASAP..
and there are features that we all want.

They know this.

Ya think they dont wish it was done and released already?

Beating a dead horse isn't going to make anything happen any faster.

Its mostly annoying.

guardonduty
02-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Does'nt new version of Maya get released in April?

WizCraker
02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
I don't know but if it does than that would mean what. Alias can release two versions in the time that Newtek can't release one?

prospector
02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
And I don't even talk about some people here that are concerned by character animation (which I'm not), I guess some of them may have projects planed and know they MUST wait for LW 8 to start really because it's too bad to waste
now days to set rigings / bones /animation or whatever else while they'll be able to do that in hours… but it's just a question of weeks.

Exactly my quandry.
Would it better to wait for 8 and get the better boning system (as seen in the demo clips) or spend time just tweaking and tweaking weights for bone deformation. If I can just move a bone during animation to hold a shoulder while arm bends, would save so much time when considering many many bones.
The morphing system in 8 will be lightyears ahead of what there is now (from passing conversation with the programmer), that it MIGHT be better to wait for that too.

The time saved by looking at the new tools is nice.
BUT
I have to get a 2 hour animation movie out by Sept 30. I hate to change workflow during a project (which is why I haven't upgraded VT2 yet), so I will wait a little more but time is getting tighter and tighter by the week.

I hope the render has been speeded up a bit:(

THAT would REALLY be a benifit now.

But I am not here complaining about the release YET.

Just some lighthearted pushes (as seen in the NEWTEK..Please Help me thread) :D

mattclary
02-13-2004, 11:17 AM
The question is, does anyone feel they are actually ACOMPLISHING anything with the incessant whining about when LW 8 will arrive?

It will be here when it gets here, end of discussion.

lasco
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
hem… if you knew the amount of thing I do or try to do to at the end
realize I did not acomplish anything :)
especially in 3D besides !

+ discussions here on the subject are generally "mixed" : people
ask for when as well as they talk about what will change in their workflow…

hrgiger
02-13-2004, 11:41 AM
I would feel a lot better if they sent me a free T-shirt or hat.

WizCraker
02-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Something along the lines of Blood, Sweat & 3D. Would go good with my CodeWarrior Shirts (http://store.metrowerks.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=471186&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=43305).

hrgiger,

What are you specializing in for SWE?

hrgiger
02-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, probably general SWE but my personal interest is in graphics programming.

WizCraker
02-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Graphics Programming is a hot area. Have you done anything exciting or are you still working on the theory stuff?

hrgiger
02-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I just started in school so I haven't got into the meat and potatoes of it yet. So I'm still in the theory room.

TSpyrison
02-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I would feel a lot better if they sent me a free T-shirt or hat.

I dont care if its free or ifI have to buy it..
I want a hat with the lightwave logo embroidered on it..

gjjackson
02-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Even with the unintentional delay of 8 I'm impressed with Newtek and how they ask input from the customer to develop the app and what would be better for the end user. There are a lot of software companies out there that don't care a whit what the customer really wants, even more evident when you're locked into a particular software. We have some proprietary software here that costs over 5000 and the developer doesn't seem to care what kind of features we would like implemented. Newtek on the other hand cares a great deal. Considering the amount of delay and what's listed on the new features page I suspect there's going to be more than that, probably something to astound us users. If only the feature list is being tested I doubt it would take as long as it has to roll it out. There very well may be features unseen before and if that's the case it would take much more time to fully test it. I'm fully expecting to be Astounded.

lasco
02-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm impressed with Newtek and how they ask input from the customer to develop the app and what would be better for the end user. There are a lot of software companies out there that don't care a whit what the customer really wants, even more evident when you're locked into a particular software.

true.

pixym
02-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Venine!
You do not want Toonshade anymore?

lasco
02-14-2004, 01:52 AM
> I'd be glad if only I had english version of UNREAL

ngrava
02-16-2004, 01:17 PM
The only issue I see here is that NewTek are just being REALLY STUPID about not telling us about what's up.

From a marketing standpoint, silence looks even worse then if you where just to say, "Hey it's going to be out next week" and then next week comes along and you say, "Well, it's looking like another week". The funny thing is, people will forgive you. The reason is because you have a more personal connection to the community so people will feel more included and therefore will have less of a tendency to jump to conclusions.

-=GB=-

hrgiger
02-16-2004, 01:26 PM
So not the case.

If you keep telling people it'll will be next week and next week keeps coming and going with no release....That's going to piss people off more then you can imagine.

Silence is golden. It's the universal "maybe" answer. Not a great one, but it certainly beats breaking promises again and again.

lasco
02-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Silence is golden. It's the universal "maybe" answer. Not a great one, but it certainly beats breaking promises again and again.

true.

siproductions
02-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Very true in this case.