PDA

View Full Version : Captain black is back...earth man...

cresshead
02-12-2004, 05:30 PM
yup i read with great joy that one of my fav children's shows from when i was growing up [did i really grow up??] is now back in production as a full CGI show...

captain scarlet and the mysterions...being done in lightwave!
coool! after a mini drought of lightwave cgi shows were heading back on track!
and the main man Ron Thornton is leading the team so i fully expect it to seriously ROCK and deliver a cutting edge show along the same lines of roughnecks dan dare jimmy neutron and maxsteel

i'm not sure if it's a total pipeline of lightwave but the job adverts are for lightwave artists so at least the models are being made in lightwave....i hope that proton can add some info about this via an interview with ron at some point in the near future possibly???

anyway good news for lightwavers...more top full cgi shows with lightwave comming to a screen nr you soon!

Aegis
02-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Get your showreels in ;) full details are on www.flay.com

Nick
02-13-2004, 03:18 AM
was done in maya + renderman, now they plan to do everything in lightwave exept character animation that will be done in maya.

cresshead
02-13-2004, 05:44 AM
why the move to lightwave?

what was there a problem with maya and renderman combination?
...cost?
...available talent that know's renderman and maya?
...didn't give good enough results on time in maya [too slow]
..why not maya and mental ray seeing as mental ray is bundled with maya now?

also why are they character animating in maya to move back to lightwave for rendering?

sounds like a similar setup to how DNA operate for the jimmy neutron t.v show.

BeeVee
02-13-2004, 06:20 AM
...is now going to be done purely in LightWave because Maya is too slow... :)

B
PS. Glad to see you're on the team Andy! :)

Aegis
02-13-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks Ben! Like many here I grew up watching Gerry Anderson's amazing shows - Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Space 1999 - all classics - it's a real privilege to be working on this production with so many talented people! I got real excited when I saw Ron's demo for Thunderbirds a few years back and thought it'd be really cool if he and Gerry got together to make something - never dreamt I'd be working on it though! :D

BeeVee
02-13-2004, 06:52 AM
I think it's also a siren call to all those LightWave grumblers out there that say that there isn't any work for them in the UK. This one production is going to beef up to more animators than most films have working on them...

B

Aegis
02-13-2004, 09:59 AM
www.flay.com is a great resource for LightWave jobs - even for UK 'Wavers - I've gotten quite a bit of work from jobs posted there :) It'd be nice to have a list of UK companies that use LightWave in their productions - here's a few good ones I know of (in no particular order):

Fuzzy Goat - www.fuzzygoat.com
Passion Pictures (although I hear they're transitioning to Maya) - www.passion-pictures.com
The Hive - www.hive3d.com
QD - www.qotd.co.uk
Darkside Animation - www.dsanim.com

and of course...

The Indestructable Production Co. :)