PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Scrambeling Hotkeys when other programs are active

ruud
02-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Hi, how does it come that lightwave scrambles my hotkeys whenever I have other programs open in the background.

It's quite irritating, because instead of increasing my selection it hides my object, and unhide is not any longer assigned to it's orriginal " \ "

So I have to restart modeller each time I zoom in another program...

Is there a fix? or do I just have to live with it?

Greetz..

Ruuter

Mylenium
02-12-2004, 05:34 AM
I don't think LW is to blame here since it's built upon an american keyboard layout. More likely your other apps steal your keys. Photoshop CS for instance has a neck for that...

Mylenium

ruud
02-12-2004, 05:37 AM
I'm working with acdsee here... for reference images... And it also happens with PS..

But thanks...

Ruuter

Chedri
02-12-2004, 06:50 AM
I think it has something to do with keyboard layouts other than US keyboards.
It happens with []{}\~ and other special characters only.
They start where you expect them on the national keyboard and then at some point move to the position where they are on the US keyboard.

I hadn't noticed that it was in connection with changing to another application, but its certainly annoying.

ruud
02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
mostcertainly annoying!

But... now I'm working with the menu's, it only slows me down in workflow... but it's definately LW's fault...

Kurtis
02-12-2004, 10:01 AM
You seem sure that it's LightWave's fault this is happening. Can you answer a couple more questions, in order to help determine this is the case?

Are there any problems with hotkeys changing when no other programs are open?

Are there any problems with hotkeys in other programs changing when LightWave is open?

ruud
02-12-2004, 10:15 AM
The hotkeys work fine when no other programs are active. Other programs are not effected by this 'change', and their hotkeys still work. My problem occurs when programs such as PS and ACDsee are open.

I've tried to change my keyboard settings (for language) but it doesn't help.

What makes it Lightwave's error is, that when you restart Modeller, the hotkeys work again, AND while working the hotkeys might switch back to other settings. i.e.: " / " doesn't hide my objects anymore (so that error is resolved) but keys like " doesn't swap layers or invert selection like they supposed to do at their default.

This can be annoying when you want to deselect a poly (/) and suddenly my poly is gone (hidden) and I have to go to the display menu to display my poly again.

Thanks for helping. And hope this can be resolved.

Ruuter

Kurtis
02-12-2004, 10:57 AM
That's fine, the more information I can gather for testing, the more likely someone will be able to pin it down.

Is this only happening with ACDSee and Photoshop? What versions of LightWave, ACDSee, and Photoshop?

What language settings are you using?

ruud
02-12-2004, 11:21 AM
as far as I know this has nothing to do with versions of software, the language of the computer does matter but can't change the fortune once the error occurs.

But, here are my versions:

Lightwave 7.5c
ACDSee 6.0
Photoshop CS
and Running on Win2000 Pro (The error also occured on a XP machine)

Language: EN United States

But as I said... as far as I know I'm experiencing this since LW5 or even 4.0... but that's too far back for me...

Ruutie

(ps: not only these software programs trigger the switch, but other programs also do, but I can't name them :))

Chedri
02-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I found a reproducable situation that creates the problem for me each time. It doesnt involve other applications...

First a bit of info:

I am using Danish keyboard and Windows XP home edition (danish version).

On my keyboard the "-" (Hide Select button) is on the lower row of keys just left of the rightmost shift key. I think this is where the "/" key is on US keyboards.
The "+" (Point tool) is on the top row, 2 keys left of the backspace keythe key just left of the backspace button (top row to right). I think this is where the "-" key is on US keyboards.

Ok, here is what I do to reproduce the problem:

Open modeller (7.5c). Make a simple object (sphere for instance)
Select polys and press "-" (where it is on the danish keyboard as described above). It works and keeps working fine.

NOW move the object in the perspective view using Alt+Shift+Mouse

Select a new another poly and try to hide it with "-" on my keyboard. Nothing happens...
Now try use the + on my keyboard (as described above). This hides the selected poly...

If I enter the Configure key window IN the modeller menu, and press my - key, it ends up on the "/" entry. If I press the "+" key, it ends up on the "-" entry, so it seems like modeller has returned to US keyboard layout for some reason...

If I move the object again with Alt+Shift+Mouse, then it reverts back to the normal mode and starts working again.

Further checking shows that you dont have to use the mouse at all, just press Alt and shift, so:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently Alt+Shift toggles between US and Danish keyboard in modeller!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to start notepad and type "-" chars and use Alt+Shift, nothng changes, it still keeps outputting "-", so it seems to be a lightwave problem..

I hope this helps solve the issue.
Its soooo annoying that the keys keep changing place. At least this post made me experiment so I found what caused it, but a solution still would be great :)

Thanks,
Helge

ruud
02-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Chedri's solution worked for me... it's true that the "Shift+Alt" triggers the switch. BUT! This is at my computer at work. I've tried the same thing at home and it doesn't happen.

But I does occasionally occur at my home computer. Only difference between the two computers:

At work (where Chedri's problem is the same) it runs on Win2000
At home... I run WinXP Pro.

Hope we can pin down my "rare" xp problem too.

Thanks Chedri! and Newtek for watchin' out

Chedri
02-13-2004, 08:30 AM
AHA :)

In preferences:
Regional and language Options/Languages/Details/Key Settings/Change Key Sequence

Windows is by default set up to switch keyboard language when you press left ALT + SHIFT!.

Disable this and the problem goes away.

I dont see how this could help on the prob with other applications, but it certainly solved my problem

Kurtis
02-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Thank you for the solution Chedri.

I tried last night to replicate this on an XP machine with Photoshop 7 and LightWave 7.5c, a 2000 machine with Photoshop 7 and LightWave 7.5c, and a 2000 machine with Photoshop CS and LightWave 7.5c, and was unable to replicate it on any of them. I did pass it along to engineering though.

I will pass your solution along to them as well.

ruud
02-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok!!! wow!

but since other programs aren't affected by this Language-Switch thingie... can LW 8 be programmed to ignore this "switch" also?

I think it would help a lot of people who mysteriously sudden can't switch their layers with "

Thanks!

Ruuter