PDA

View Full Version : 2012??? will the world end? (most likly no)

nerdyguy227
02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I heard that the world will end in the year 2012:confused: The mayans (the group, not the program:p ) predicted it. The last thing they predicted was a luner eclips. They predicted everything in medevil times and thier prediction was only 33 sec. off!!!:eek:

mattclary
02-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Geee... that's a tough one... But I'm gonna have to go with, "No".

nerdyguy227
02-11-2004, 04:42 PM
I would too. In my life I'v been through about 8 "end of the world" situations. The mayans were probibly drunk one night saying "lets scare the people in the 21st century by predicting luner eclipses corectly and then predict the end of the world so they all go nuts!", but earth is suppose to pass through an astroid or meater cluster.

badllarma
02-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Thats ok i'll of modeled my space craft in Lightwave 15 sent it to the manufacturers had it shiped back and be sat on Mars having a beer by then :D

jamesl
02-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Let's just hope LW8 ships by then... :D

sorry, had to say it before someone beat me to it!

j

mlinde
02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
2012?! Gee, I better get a demo reel made, and over to Pixar before then...

DaveW
02-11-2004, 05:24 PM
The Mayans were skilled astronomers, it's not like they used magic to predict lunar eclipses. 2012 is just when their calendar ended, not a prediction of the end of the world.

jevinstudios
02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I fail to see how this benefits the "LW Community" area for posting -- shouldn't this be in "General Discussions"?

nerdyguy227
02-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
The Mayans were skilled astronomers, it's not like they used magic to predict lunar eclipses. 2012 is just when their calendar ended, not a prediction of the end of the world.

Yah, but the next stage of the calander is called the "Armageddon"-wich obviously means the end of the world

Revanto
02-11-2004, 08:24 PM
That sounds stupid! If the Mayans have a 'next stage' to their calender, doesn't this mean that the world won't end. I mean, if the world would end, wouldn't you just stop your calender just then?

Anyway, it's been often a mistake to think end of the world as destruction of the world when it can also mean end of an era and the beginning of a new one.

Revanto

zeno
02-11-2004, 10:18 PM
maybe that's the day that alias wont make any further versions of Maya3d... the end of the world of maya... the end of the world according to mayan....

zeno
02-11-2004, 10:21 PM
well
Everyday are the end of the World(s) :(

DaveW
02-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
Yah, but the next stage of the calander is called the "Armageddon"-wich obviously means the end of the world

Do you have a reputable source for that? I'm no Mayan expert, but I have read about their calendars (they actually have 17) and as I understand it, the "doomsday calendar" that ends in 2012 just restarts their cycle, there is nothing about Armageddon. It's on a huge wheel (the Wheel of Time as some call it) and is a series of cycles; the next one down is 13 cycles of 400 years, and it continues on down with cycles of months, weeks, and days named after various gods. Winter and summer solstice play a key role, and I think it's the same calendar that coincides with the movements of Venus, which they used to plan wars, political coups, and human sacrifice. No end of the world stuff though. And btw, some of their more mathematically ingenious calendars cover millions of years.

Matt
02-12-2004, 04:19 AM
the only thing capable of wiping us humans out is ourselves through either : disease (more virulant strains because of scientific intervention / prevention / genetic modifcation) atmospheric (pollution killing our little _life supporting_ home) or war (stupid men in suits)

:)

mattclary
02-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Actually, the Spaniards ended the world for the Mayans a loooooong time ago. Guess they didn't see that coming, so I don't think they could probably see the end of our world either. ;)

anieves
02-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
Actually, the Spaniards ended the world for the Mayans a loooooong time ago. Guess they didn't see that coming, so I don't think they could probably see the end of our world either. ;)

LMAO!!!

cholo
02-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Actually I think the chinese and the maya end their calendars on the exact same date, which to be more accurate is Sunday december 23rd 2012. :)

Meaty
02-12-2004, 11:50 AM
sigh.... 8 more years... can't it be 2012 now please?:p

meshmaster
02-12-2004, 12:40 PM
by backing up the timeline along the bottom of my copy of Multi-Dimensional Lightwave XX (they started using Roman Numerals once it got up to X, which was nice for marketing of Dan's books since he already had a big X on the logos on Amazon)... Anyways, no, the world does not end, unless you are talking about 3d products on computers.. they went out some time back a few years ago... now we use 5th dimensional tools to create our holo novels for upload to the wireless networked world.

nerdyguy227
02-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I am not saying the world will end. I actually did more resurch and more accurate sorces call it "The Golden Age" where something will happen that will be a huge tecnological advancment. I don't belive in this stuff. My friend just watched a vidio in scocial studies class about the mayan's predictions. And this thing is on 2012 dec. 23 at 3:00 pm.

Maby the huge tecnological advancement will be LW 8!

Qslugs
02-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Or maybe the mayans end of the world happened before they got around to making another calendar....

nerdyguy227
02-12-2004, 03:18 PM
That is always possable:rolleyes:

Aegis
02-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Actually, the Spaniards ended the world for the Mayans a loooooong time ago. Guess they didn't see that coming, so I don't think they could probably see the end of our world either

The Spaniards arrived after the time of the Maya - they were mostly wiped out by the Toltecs who were far more aggressive (and the only South American people who practiced human sacrifice) and through drought. The Spaniards put paid to the Aztecs who were around much longer than the Maya or the Tolteca - not predominantly through war but through disease.

cresshead
02-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Aegis??..are you in on the captain scarlet show?

Aegis
02-12-2004, 05:03 PM
;)

DaveW
02-12-2004, 06:54 PM
The Toltecs were gone by the time the Spanish arrived. The Mayans continued on for a few hundred years after the Toltecs, but Aztecs were in control of Central America/Mexico when the Spanish arrived. All 3 civilizations practiced human sacrifice, and they weren't in South America, they were in Central/North America :) The Incans, who were in South America, also practiced human sacrifice, as I'm sure many other civilizations in the Americas did.

Beamtracer
02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
If you read the Maya (3D) forums, you'd get the impression the world will end on the same day Apple buys alias!

inquisitive
02-12-2004, 11:06 PM
btw has anybody encountered an aztec calendar in the public domain?

jamesl
02-14-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by mattclary

Yeah, but they knew the world was round, and revolved around the sun, a thousand years before the West did. And Newton had to invent calculus to prove it. Maybe the Mayans deserve a bit of credit?

Personally, I'm going to sign for a 30 year home loan, and laugh my ***** off because I'll never have to pay it off! :D

j

tapsnap
02-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Actually, astronomers have discovered a meteor headed towards earth, which is predicted to hit right around then. The good news is that the chances of it actually hitting this planet is 1 in 900,000. Still people bet on worse odds when playing the lottery.