PDA

View Full Version : Color Bleeding

evance
03-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm kind of new to graphics and video. I have a project that I am working on to put some video on a dvd with an intro. The intro looks good and all but the text and other graphics that I created in photoshop bleeds real bad. I've tried using ToasterCG for some stuff but it bleeds also besides photoshop as a lot more functionality. I have previewed on many tv's and still the same problem. Is there something I can do to reduce the color bleeding in my images? Does toaster accept vector files like illustrator or coreldraw?

Thanks in advance
evance

Faraz
03-12-2003, 03:00 PM
What color is bleeding, avoid reds as much as possbile. If you must use them incase-them with a black outline.

SBowie
03-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by evance
I'm kinna new to graphics and video. I have a project that I am working own to put some video on a dvd with an intro. The intro looks good and all but the text and other graphics that I created in photoshop bleeds real bad. Is there something I can due to reduce the color bleeding in my images? Does toaster accept vector files like illustrator or coreldraw?

Thanks in advance
evance Video is more particular about what colours are legal than your computer is. Many of the saturated colours you might create in Photoshop or other apps are 'illegal' for broadcast, and will cause problems like you describe.

There are various ways to avoid the problem. You can just keep all the RGB values you use down to something conservative, say below 215 or so, or run your imagery through one or another form of filtering prior to going out to video. The beauty of the Toaster is that you should be able to see these problems and correct them as you go, using the Toaster output and the WaveForm/Vectorscope modules.

BTW, since this is largely undiscovered territory for you, watch out for another "gotcha" - single pixel horizontal lines in your CG creations...

vanguard
03-13-2003, 08:03 AM
I believe photoshop has a NTSC "safe" filter, which will drag your "extreme" colors into the frequency envelope of NTSC.

Remember colors are just frequencies...

Reds - lower
Blues- higher

At the far ends of the scale the reds and blues can be so low/high that they are outside the frequency response of the NTSC standard!

Look at VHS, this format operates at less than 50% of the NTSC standard bandwidth.

So like a telephone, you get more of (mostly) the center frequencies, and the reds bleed, and get fuzzy, the blues get ghosty, and the bottom line is workarounds like black surrounds mask the problem...

Damn, I got ramblin there again....

Use the NTSC filter on P-shop and you should not have the problem...

evance
03-16-2003, 10:27 PM
thank you all for your response. I will look into it and pay close attention to the p-shop filter.

Thanks
evance