PDA

View Full Version : displacement mapping based on the surfaces ?

smok3
02-11-2004, 07:42 AM
can i do a displacement mapping based on the surfaces somehow?
(if not, how should i go about that?)

tia.

Mylenium
02-11-2004, 08:11 AM
That's not possible. You have to extract all the polys from a surface to a separate object and assign it a ddisplacement maps. Use a gradient based on weight maps to hold the surface border/ edges in place.

Mylenium

smok3
02-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Mylenium, tnx.

How about defining displacement axe with poligon facing direction?

Dodgy
02-11-2004, 08:51 AM
In which case you need to use the Normal displacement plugin (comes with LW) though I suggest using a smoothscaled morph target in it, as Normal displacement can be very slow, and using a smoothscaled morph gives just about the same effect depending on what you're after.....

smok3
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
tnx Dodgy, that did the trick, but it doesnt look what i expected to ..., and its to damn slow anyway.

using a smoothscaled morph gives just about the same effect how do i setup things that way ?

<and offtopic>as i see you are team17 member, got me to download the worms3d demo, but somehow it wont work properly..., do i need the latest greatest directx installed or is there some other problem with my config (laptop), some basic specs are here :
http://users.volja.net/smoker/pub/woody/report.txt
(iam not into gameplay, but the old worms from my amiga4000 are probably one of the reasons i never could get rid of the old machine ;) )
</offtopic>

Dodgy
02-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Okay to set up the morph, go into modeler, and add a Morph, and then use the smooth scale tool on the whole object, so it bulges out a bit (Not too much, you just want to displace the points along their normals a bit). Go back into layout and open the Normal Displacement plugin again and set the displacement direction to Morph Map and select your morph below. Then you can set the distance and use it like Normal, and it'l give pretty much the same effect, only a lot faster becuse it's not calculating the normals.

You probably need the DX9.1 drivers? Whatever the latest are... Plus there's a patch out :)

smok3
02-18-2004, 09:33 AM
dodgy: tnx and tnx :cool: