PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars original trilogy on DVD...

kyuzo
02-11-2004, 05:15 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3478493.stm

At last...

Bytehawk
02-11-2004, 05:28 AM
will that be the originals or the special edition or another reworked version.

another one for the collection !

anieves
02-11-2004, 07:30 AM
humm the article doesn't say which ones but I read in some other article that they were going to be the special editions... will see.

Ade
02-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Lucas put me off with all these new starwars...
the original untouched with all its faults was the best..

TSpyrison
02-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Hmm..

I think I've got the original (non special edition) on VHS somewhere..

Maybe i should play that into my DVD recorder for future safekeeping.

wont look as good.. but what else ya gonna do?

Nemoid
02-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Let's hope they don't add any new scenes or smth. I like the first trilogy just like it was in cinemas at the time... and didn't liked SO much the new scenes, especially the changed song of chapter VI in the final. OMG

Carm3D
02-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I hope Han shoots (Greedo) first this time.

Miles
02-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
I hope Han shoots (Greedo) first this time. FWIW, Lucasfilm has been making changes to the original Star Wars films. These changes include new special effects, revised and updated shots and scenes, and new footage shot with actors Hayden Christensen (Anakin) and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) that would flesh out moments with their characters (Vander speaking with the Emperor EP:V) in the original films. Another example, an aged and scarred Hayden now appears as Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke removes Vader's helmet. Among the other changes are the restoration of the original "Han shoots first" moment from Star Wars and a revamped lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Vader. Lucas has always planned to release an ultimate, "Archive" editions of these films that tie in better with the new prequels.

I know and understand many wish the film's would stay as they were in the theatres decades ago, but they are Lucas work and I can't blame him for wanting to make Continuity Changes which he is allowed to make today he couldn't create back when. Those changes may not always set right in our minds because of our own personal memories, but to future generations that see them for the first time some of these changes make a lot of sense.

;)

mattclary
02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Miles
Lucasfilm has been making changes to the original Star Wars films. These changes include new special effects, revised and updated shots and scenes, and new footage shot with actors Hayden Christensen (Anakin) and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) that would flesh out moments with their characters (Vander speaking with the Emperor EP:V) in the original films. Another example, an aged and scarred Hayden now appears as Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke removes Vader's helmet

I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to call "bullsh*t" unless you can quote a damn good source.

Kuzey
02-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Well, Lucas has to do something to keep ilm breathing :p

Let him rework them till he dies...a bad film is still a bad film no matter what you throw at it.
It's very sad when you thing about...the guy just can't direct. He's talent if he had any...died a long time ago...in a galaxy far far away :p

Kuzey

mlinde
02-11-2004, 04:55 PM
The news has the Special Editions being the releases. No news about "additional" new FX that I've seen. And, FWIW, Star Wars is bigger than George. He may have created it, but he shouldn't have exclusive ownership. I still want the original versions on DVD, my VHS tapes are getting a bit worn.

cresshead
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
you know what...epIII will really have to go some to make up for some of what's happened in ep1 and 2....

i still say that babylon 5's, 5 year arc of a story swamps star wars by a lightyear or three...and the fx are up for it in B5 with a good deal of space scenes not like what we have in Ep1 & 2 of star wars....i'd sooner spend my cash on the dvd's or B5 than yet another set of starwar films re hashed yet again...

steve g

....though i'm living in hope that EpIII will really deiliver.

mgrusin
02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
At one point Lucas (?) said that the originals would never be available again. After that announcement I purchased a clearance-rack set of the originals on VHS, but they are pan 'n scan not letterbox.

My personal opinion (and I respect others), is that although I'll bet it's been a hoot for the ILM crew to remake classic scenes using cutting-edge technology, the original Star Wars captures a pivotal moment in special effects and filmmaking history, and should be preseved as such. The "updates" can be kept in-house, or released to the theaters, I don't care. But please don't bury the original.

"Red five standing by." -MG. :D

jin choung
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
yep,

SPECIAL EDITIONS ONLY... BOOOOOOOOO!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

han not shooting first was a ludicrous concession to the moral police... WTF?! and the fact that they threw in jabba after greedo makes you hear virtually the same dialogue TWICE. yeck!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

but there's one shot in cloud city where leia is pacing and you see her in a window from the outside... man, that shot SUCKED in the original. the new version was much better.

and in the yeti scene was a lot cooler in the original too. and the dancing hoohahs in jedi are just embarassing.

and if we're in the new f'ing millenium, why tf, isn't artoo blue in space already?!

and why does obiwan's lightsaber lose it's glow on the second and third parry in one shot against vader.

why didn't he fix stuff like that.

lucas is a lamewad. he should release the dvd with both versions and allow you to pick and choose which shots you want from where.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o.

jin

badllarma
02-12-2004, 12:44 AM
At the end of the day it's all about $$$ I have seen an interview with GL that he does state he will not bring out the orginals on DVD until they are all (6) finished BUT the Indi Jones Box colllection changed all of that with it's world wide sales of lots of $$$.

Think of this as his retirment fund :D As once these are done I do not think he will be doing any more films, let's hope not anyway :D

Miles
09-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to call "bullsh*t"Well, it wouldn't have been wise to reply to the above back in February, but seeing how > DVD reviews (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html)< are now surfacing. There you go...

My information on Hayden reprising the roll of Vader in the end of EP:VI was a bit off with regards to his playing the version under the helmet, but otherwise... ;)

retinajoy
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
These are some comparison shots between the 1997se and the new DVD versions:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/4-05-1997.jpg http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/4-05-2004.jpg

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/4-08-1997.jpg http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/4-08-2004.jpg

There are more comparison shots here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

mattclary
09-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, it wouldn't have been wise to reply to the above back in February, but seeing how > DVD reviews (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html)< are now surfacing. There you go...

My information on Hayden reprising the roll of Vader in the end of EP:VI was a bit off with regards to his playing the version under the helmet, but otherwise... ;)

You were pretty far off.

"...an improved version of the Han/Greedo fight (Greedo still shoots first, but only just - the blasts are much closer together and Han's movement is smoother), ..."

I knew George Lucas would never change this back to Han shooting first, that would be un-P.C.

"...the use of actor Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor (replacing the old woman and voice actor Clive Revill who played the character originally). I should note that the Emperor alteration also involves a change in the scene's dialogue - ..."

No way they would add Hayden here

"When Luke removes Vader's mask to reveal his father's face, the eyebrows of actor Sebastian Shaw have been erased .."

..or here

"when the Force ghosts of Ben, Yoda and Anakin appear to Luke at the very end of the film, actor Sebastian Shaw has been replaced with Hayden Christensen (as he'll appear in Episode III)"

I think it's stupid, but yeah, coming from the guy who gave us Jar-Jar and Han-can't-shoot-first, I would have believed this part. Very feel-good, mushy crap.

archiea
09-11-2004, 01:14 AM
the books are still superior.. even the comics.. has anybody read Dark Empire and Dark Empire 2? Stunning. The X wing series had a depth that was never explored in the movies. They are the true sucessors to the films story wise...

lucas can choke on an ewok for all we should care...

hazmat777
09-11-2004, 03:11 AM
The only reason people get so upset about the whole Star Wars thing is because it touched a nerve deeper than they expected it would.

What is lacking in the new films, in my opinion, is the lack of mystery.

When Luke took off from Hoth with R2 and was vague about what he was doing heading off to meet Yoda (because of his doubts about his Obi-Wan vision) that was great.

JamesCurtis
09-11-2004, 07:47 AM
I actually have the Laserdisc [remember those?] version of the original SW Trilogy, and of the Special Edition too. Actually, because the original release is not ever going to be released again [AFAIK], my LD set is probably worth lots to collectors!!

By the way, those editions are what I truly called special collector's editions, what with the book that was part of the Special Edition release!! Gotta love it!!

ACLOBO
09-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Remember when the re-mastered vhs set came out (before the special edition releases). I have two sets of the digitally remastered "originals." They came in this nice sturdy box with vader on it. I have two - one unopened. :-)

-Adrian

Miles
09-12-2004, 01:04 AM
You were pretty far off.Reply: I would hardly call it "far off", but :rolleyes: whatever... The point was you called BS that information of those scenes were under going additional changes. The proof is here now, or shall I say will be when released in the next couple of weeks to substantiate the info provided back in Feb. If you were expecting a detail break down of exactly what the end results of the changes would be, screen shots or whatever back then by calling BS that was :D and :rolleyes: !!!

"...an improved version of the Han/Greedo fight (Greedo still shoots first, but only just - the blasts are much closer together and Han's movement is smoother), ..."

I knew George Lucas would never change this back to Han shooting first, that would be un-P.C.Reply: Who knows maybe it was restored, but then Lucas decide to keep to his P.C. change and decided on a compromised vision of the scene. Back in Feb. one certainly could've hoped that the information that that scene was going to undergo a restoration would've meant an end result of "Han shooting first", but nonetheless the scene was revised and therefore hardly BS...

"...the use of actor Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor (replacing the old woman and voice actor Clive Revill who played the character originally). I should note that the Emperor alteration also involves a change in the scene's dialogue - ..."

No way they would add Hayden hereReply: No one that I recall said Hayden would be use in that scene of EP.V, but please note my 2nd post below with regards to the confusion on this point. It was meant to only note Ian McDiarmid was to be reprising the roll where the Emperor's face and voice both were clearly not keeping with series continuity...

I can't even begin to imagine how adding Hayden in that scene would've improved continuity (especially since Vader's face was never seen in EP V.).

"When Luke removes Vader's mask to reveal his father's face, the eyebrows of actor Sebastian Shaw have been erased .."

..or hereReply: As noted in the last post (earlier this week) the information regarding this scene revision was indeed off base... Perhaps due to the fact that Hayden was indeed used to replace Sebastian Shaw and that scene where we see Vader/Anakin's face behind the mask was also revised that the information back in Feb. was off the mark because of confusion that both revisions/edits notes were thought to be performed on the same scene. An honest mistake...

Personally, I would've replaced Shaw in that scene as well with Hayden if at all possible, for the sake of continuity because to me regardless of battle/lava scaring that actor doesn't looks anything like the most predominate portrayal of Anakin. Then again, Jake (EP.I) and Hayden don't look much like one in the same either regardless of age differences. Had Hayden replaced Shaw behind the mask at least that would've left us with only one actor switch to try and accept in terms of continuity. IMHO... Then again these are not my films to make such a call.

"when the Force ghosts of Ben, Yoda and Anakin appear to Luke at the very end of the film, actor Sebastian Shaw has been replaced with Hayden Christensen (as he'll appear in Episode III)"

I think it's stupid, but yeah, coming from the guy who gave us Jar-Jar and Han-can't-shoot-first, I would have believed this part. Very feel-good, mushy crap.Reply: In light of the fact that Hayden wasn't also used to reprise Anakin in the behind the mask scene, I may have to agree that just slapping Hayden in the last scene of EP.VI just minutes after we see Shaw might be an unwise move given changes are meant to help continuity not make them even more obvious. The weeks to come will tell on that point.

Anyway, again, each scene noted back in Feb. was indeed revised and if you expected a calling BS comment to warrant providing detailed proof of the changes noted, which were not even final at that time, well :D you'd had to of been kidding yourself... ;)

Miles
09-12-2004, 01:20 AM
I just went back and read my wording in the first post and can now see where it could be taken that I meant Hayden would be used in the scene with Vader speaking to the Emperor (Ian) in EP.V.

It was meant to note that Hayden and Ian would both be used to reprise their characters in the Trilogy revisions... THEN I meant to give examples, Ian being used in EP.V and THEN Hayden to replace Shaw in EP.VI. My BAD on that bit of confusing wording on that one...

Hey, I couldn't even spell "Vader" (:D "Vander") correct that day, sooo :rolleyes: take the info FWIwasW at the time. I'm guessing most here didn't get bent over what I had to share on the subject at the time; with or without proof...

Jim_C
09-12-2004, 02:16 PM
WHAT does this have to do with Lightwave?

Stop spreading this anti-earth propaganda!!!

This is a lightwave board!!!

My brother's sister's wife's cousin saw the Death Star explode!!

Moderators do something about this!!!

Make me a moderator!!
Freedom, freedom, freedom, unless I say censor!!!!

wah wah wah !!!

Oh wait, that was the other thread.

:D

I am making a point tho, that not everything on this board is LW related and for some to scream and yell to censor certain discussions because they are not LW related but not for others just because they disagree with the topic...well.... If they got there way everytime, this thread would be gone too. along with the jokes, and the well wishes for Russia, and that lengthy discussion on Iraq.. anyway

I just think if folks do not like the subject, they should just not read and not get involved, and let moderators do their job if they see a need.
Anyway... again.....

Back to the topic......and the real reason for this post (honestly)
There is an awesome looking new documentary on the Star Wars culture sweep on A&E tonight at 8pm.

Jim
(sorry for the rant, but I do feel better)
:cool: