PDA

View Full Version : Amazing 2D animation using LW

claymation
02-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Just saw this post and thought some might find it useful and others just might want to see a cool use for lightwave.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121820

He hand drew 13 key frames than used morphs? I wish I could figure it out.. It is pretty cool.

Jay

Mylenium
02-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, it's actually pretty simple... He just drew the contours and then created morph targets for each pose by modifying the base figure. It's really more like doing a 2D morph in a compositing program but with the advantage of Z-Depth to avoid mixing of pixel colors. However, to me it looks very unrealistic with only so feww inbetweens. A few more certainly couldn't harm. That excessive motion blur really is killing the impression of 2D.

Mylenium

Wickster
02-11-2004, 12:03 AM
i think that was freakin awesome. i have friends who might be able to use this technique to do a comic book panels shown onto dvd. and that would just be perfect for it. except for one problem. could somebody explain it to me how he did this? you said he drew the contour lines and created morph targets for it?
:confused:

i'm sorry for being dumb and all i'm pretty new to lightwave.

tutorial plase!

Jaffro
02-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Its ok. Although its more like a get-out for drawing betweens. I cant decide if i like it or not, the thing is with using this technique that things are deforming, and it looks like computer betweens.

Wickster, Basically he drew the key poses/frames (i think in the thread he posts a video of the key frames). He then scanned them in and painted the images in photoshop, which is good i like his painting. I'm assuming he then went into modeler and traced a polygon outline on the keyframes. Then used lightwave to morph between the key frames.

This is no replacement for drawing your own betweens, the deforming is way too much to be acceptable for 2D animation.

Matt
02-11-2004, 07:31 AM
I thought it was very clever use of LightWave myself, and the results are pretty convincing!

Great work!

Jaffro
02-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Dont get me wrong, i'm impressed with the result. I really love the video, its just the technical side. I think what this guy has done could be alot better if it was all classical. He obviously has a lot of tallent, and not just in the pencil.

I just think its a shame there's deforming on the major betweens. This could be overcome by using some sortta 'sub-keyframes', basically drawing those major betweens to ensure there is minimal deform during morph. But then comes the question - are you actually saving time if your drawing 75-90% and then setting up lw for the morph?

I'm not sure on this but im sure Toonz or Toon Boom could manage motion blur to some respect, if not then i suppose a another package is the only way.

claymation
02-11-2004, 09:34 AM
I think it is a great proof of concept. Yeah it could be tweaked to make it perfect but, if he got this far I'm sure he can take it that last 1%.

I was thinking that it may have been endomorphs then realized that he used 13 different drawings. Wouldn't that mean he needed 13 objects?

Have to look up morphing to see how it's done then look at this again after.

Jay

anieves
02-11-2004, 10:39 AM
humm, maybe this could be done with AFX and reelsmart plugin motion blur, maybe it would have to be tested...

claymation
02-11-2004, 10:50 AM
He just posted the mesh he used along with teh keyframes. I am not sure you could do anything as elegently as he did in Lightwave since it gives more control over the shapes. But! After digging around looking at morphing and morphing software I am sure it can be done in any software that does morphing.

Heres some reference on Morphing.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~elec539/Projects97/morphjrks/themainpage.html

Jay

Wickster
02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks Jaffro! but doesn't it end up having more work than just doing the 2D animation traditionally? I guess he was aiming for the effects lightwave could do. thanks again.
:)

Jaffro
02-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Yea he says in the thread that he wants to get motion blur and stuff you cant do in pure 2D.

I think it probably would be more work than keeping to 2D. Although it depends on what look your after, i dont think he'd be able to paint a cell to the same image he has there - and that would be a lot more work to even try! Moving it into lw would be overkill for most 2d animations. Unless you need effects that are not possible elsewhere you really dont need a 3d app. And even then it would probably be quicker to take the origional sequence, paint in photoshop, then load into lw as a sequence and composite the effects into the shot.

jevinstudios
02-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Cool stuff....

For all thoz who haven't seen "Olive the Other Reindeer" by DNA studios, this is one of the best 2D productions using LW I've ever seen. Treat yourself and pick it up for a great Christmas treat when the Holiday season comez around -- you'll be amazed at what LW can do in the 2D department!