PDA

View Full Version : Got an OLD card instead of new VT3?

multipasser
02-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Hello all,

I had 2 old FrameFactory cards (pre VideoToaster).
I traded them in, and ordered an upgrade to VT3. At a very nice price i must add.

I just received my VT3's.
It's 2x a Videotoaster 2 package + 2x a blue folder with manual/upgrade CD to VT3. I dont know if that is the way newtek hands out VT3's now. so question 1: Are there full VT3 packages out? Or do you still get an old Vt2 package + vt3 software update, if you buy a VT3 from newtek.

Then I opened the package and I saw this on my card.
http://fubar.fateback.com/vt3.jpg Is that normal?

The card(s) are not new. They are used for sure. The are even oxidating a little. http://fubar.fateback.com/vt3back.jpg I really dont think those connections are what they used to be. I hope the picture makes it obvious?

So question 2: is this a custom way of working from Newtek? I mean it was sealed in a original VideoToaster Box. And I really trust my dealer. The chip even date's 1-12-1999. So my guess is that card is almost 3 a 4 years old.

I can understand it that newtek tests its cards. But my 2 cards look like they been sitting over 2 years in someones computer.

Now software wise. VT2 package got express LW. But I looked at the VT3 cd and its contains a LW7.x but in discovery mode, cause I didt not register yet. But are we speaking of a FULL functional LW7.5 like the standalone? Because I heard people complaining about not able to use plugins because vt3 lw doenst hand out unique LW ID's.?

I hope someone can clear things out.
Regards

robewil
02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't know how to answer your questions concerning the cards although it sounds like someone (your dealer?) sold you old VT[2] packages with a VT[3] upgrade. This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it weren't for the used appearance of the boards as you describe. You should definitely talk to your dealer.
Originally posted by multipasser
Now software wise. VT2 package got express LW. But I looked at the VT3 cd and its contains a LW7.x but in discovery mode, cause I didt not register yet. But are we speaking of a FULL functional LW7.5 like the standalone? Because I heard people complaining about not able to use plugins because vt3 lw doenst hand out unique LW ID's.? It is a full 7.5 Lightwave in itself but you are correct about the plug-in situation. Also, be aware that owning a VT[3] with full Lightwave 7.5 does not make you a registered Lightwave user in the eyes of Newtek. In other words, it does not qualify you for the discounted price on a Lightwave 8 upgrade with the DFX+ bundle.
My feeling is that Newtek at this time, still isn't sure if the full version of Lightwave is going to be an official part of the VT package or not. I recently told a Newtek sales person that it is my opinion that VT users should also be considered Lightwave users. I told him that Newtek should ship the next VT upgrade (VT[4]?) with the Lightwave dongle, ending this confusion once and for all.

multipasser
02-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by robewil
I don't know how to answer your questions concerning the cards although it sounds like someone (your dealer?) sold you old VT[2] packages with a VT[3] upgrade.

So if you buy a VT3 package now from newtek you get a BOX that says VideoTOASTER 3.0?
Or do they still give you Videotoaster 2.0 + an Upgrade?
(i know they still did that some months ago) Maybe its has changed now.

Jim_C
02-10-2004, 07:19 PM
3 is a software update only. No hardware or card upgrades, so a new box would just be cosmetic.

I don't think that wire is normal.
I'll check after 24 is over.

I would guess either your dealer or Newtek can take care of the card condition problem. Newtek offers lifetime support of all cards so hopefully they will make sure a new customer receives proper equipment.

Jim

Jim Capillo
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
The wiring looks a bit shoddy - I'd check with them before you fire it up to see if that's kosher.

kleima
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
The cards have not changed, really, since VTNT 1.0. But, it should be a new card, unless your dealer thought you wouldn't notice.

Paul Lara
02-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Yes, for new purchases, NewTek provides a VT[3] box, along with the card, CD's and blue binder.

Ivan
02-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I had 2 old FrameFactory cards (pre VideoToaster). I traded them in, and ordered an upgrade to VT3. At a very nice price i must add.

My understanding is that the FrameFactory cards were upgradable to VT with a modification by Newtek. If that is the case I would expect that you actually did not trade them in but instead had them upgraded to work with VT. This could explain the price and the look of the card. You may actually have your old cards. I don't think the dealer was trying to trick you, this is what would have been done for the "upgrade".

To expect a new card you would need to actually sell the FrameFactory card and purchase the new VT system, not an upgrade. This would have likely cost more and given you the same results and performance as what you can expect now.

Ivan

Chuck
02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ivan
My understanding is that the FrameFactory cards were upgradable to VT with a modification by Newtek. If that is the case I would expect that you actually did not trade them in but instead had them upgraded to work with VT. This could explain the price and the look of the card. You may actually have your old cards. I don't think the dealer was trying to trick you, this is what would have been done for the "upgrade".

To expect a new card you would need to actually sell the FrameFactory card and purchase the new VT system, not an upgrade. This would have likely cost more and given you the same results and performance as what you can expect now.

Ivan

That is correct - the program available for Frame Factory users is an upgrade, not a trade-in. The boards are sent to NewTek and modified to upgrade them to the current design revision. This may include visible jumper wires to update the circuitry of the card. In cases where the board cannot be upgraded physically, then NewTek may supply a replacement board, and that may be a remanufactured or refurbished unit.

multipasser
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanx Chuck.

I also got a nice explaining email from Audrey from Newtek.

So all is clear.

You can delete this topic if you want. Its all clear for me now.

thanx