PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Help / Advice LOST RAID

Laurence Winsto
02-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Fired up vt3 system this morning to find that there is no array present.. GULP.

we are using (and not my choice) Adaptec 2200s controller.
From the main menu

Manage array - tells me no array present

Create Array - tells me there is no free drive space available to create an array.

Initailise drives - tell me the five seagate st336753lw 34.1g are present.

The big question ( and I'm feeeling very sick)

WILL RE-INITIALISING THE DRIVES WIPE THE DATA?

Help Please.

wvp
02-10-2004, 05:55 PM
In an effort to give you some help I would suggest you check out Adaptec's web site. At least until someone else chimes in here, you might find Adaptec has some utilites or advice to help.
Reforrmatting WILL cause complete loss of data.

Jim Capillo
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Have you tried reseating all the boards and connectors? I'm only guessing here, but maybe heat/cold combined for an iffy connection somewhere. It is a pretty common problem on my "other system". Thing doesn't boot up - reseat the boards.

Give it a try......

Jim_C
02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
You want to Reactivate if you can. This will not erase data. I do not know of other commands. But if 'Reactivate' is available use that.
Then import the foreign disks.

kleima
02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
You'll find "reactivate" by right clicking on My Computer, choosing
"Manage" then clicking on "Disk Management" on the left. The drive may be listed as missing, offline, or at risk. Right click on the grey area to the left of the bar that repesents the disk (Where it says Disk 5, etc.). Choose "Reactivate Disk."

kleima
02-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Then, buy a 300 GB IDE drive to use as "online" backup! It works great and is fast and cheap! Retrospect is an excellent backup utility that lets you restore individual files out of a backup set.
Actually, buy the 300 GB first, so that if you can reactivate you can retrieve the data, in case things fail again!

Laurence Winsto
02-10-2004, 11:02 PM
It's Gone... after lots of phone calls and hair pulling I now have a fresh 170gb raid with about 100hrs of work gone.

OMG... Starting a project over today wich needs to be out and distributed on Friday is not what i had in mind - Hey who needs sleep.

Thanks for assistance.

NOW LETS TALK BACK-UP what are people using to back up
I am open to all suggestions

At one stage we were running a raid 4 or 5 wich took one drive away and became a back-up, This caused problems with playback on the VT so we went Raid 0.

so whats the go.

Jim_C
02-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I use 250 gig firewire drives for backup.
I think they are around 300$.

Sorry for your loss..

Jim

kleima
02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I use the 300 GB IDE I mentioned above for "online" backup and a DDS4 tape drive for "offline" backup. The tape drive is reasonably fast (for the price) and media is cheap. If I remember right it only cost $300-400.

lucca65
02-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Just lost one drive of four in my SCSI array. I sent it back to the dealer to see if anything can be retrieved. Two huge projects complete with graphics sounds etc. all gone.

I also invested in two 250 gig removable drives to do all my backups.

Live and learn

Lucca

Sledgehammer
02-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Another suggestion is to go with a RAID3 or RAID5 array.

Medea and Huge Systems have decent deals on them. The RTRX 10drive went to 185MB/sec on our dual SCSI channel VT3, and if a drive was thrown, the array would stay up and going.

IDE drives work well for backups, but keep in mind you have to remember to back up. Or get a s/w like Retrospect to do it for you.

bradl
02-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Sledgehammer
...Or get a s/w like Retrospect to do it for you... My favorite backup software:Second Copy 2000 (http://www.secondcopy.com/)

Very easy to set up, works reliably. Can be set up as a service in 2K and XP using Microsofts's srvany.exe