PDA

View Full Version : Logo Help

Peter Palesh
03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
I have a logo given to me in .eps format. The problem is that when I import it into modeler it shows as a solid oval. How do I go about making it solid only where it should be?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mattclary
03-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Even though there are lots of points, my guess is it is one big poly. Select the item and hit k to kill the poly, leaving the points behind. Select the points you want (in order, and hit p to make them into a poly. You probably want each letter, the ring, etc... to be it's own poly.

Bytehawk
03-12-2003, 01:24 PM
if that fails, have a look on my website. There's a small tutorial on how to fix those things.

I often get eps logos that either won't import at all or need too much work adjusting to get good results.

I rasterise the damn thing in Photoshop (wich is less fussy about eps formats), trace contours, export that as eps and work from there.

Peter Palesh
03-12-2003, 11:55 PM
Ok, here is where I am... I have tried both methods and this is the best result so far.

Bytehawk --> when trying to use the drill function in your tutorial i always get an error (polygon can only have 1023 vertices)...
Mapping the paths in Photoshop is such an easy process, thanks for that.

I now need to figure out how to make the ring and the letters solid. Any suggestions?

Thanks ...:cool:

geoff3dnz
03-13-2003, 01:51 AM
As far as your first post is concerned, my guess is that all the polys were already there, just all on top of each other. Just select each one and cut and paste onto it's own layer.

Regarding your latest post, I'd re-import the eps but make sure that the option in the dialog box is set to 'closed polygons' only, not the default of 'closed polygons and polylines'. Any objects that just have a stroke in you vector program will import like that, just polyline outlines.

That is a seriously heavy point count - you'll certainly experience drill / boolean problems with points that dense - try importing the eps again set to standard - at a push, fine. Depending on what the final output will be, you won't notice the difference at render time.

Bytehawk
03-13-2003, 04:54 AM
If you still can't work it - put up the eps, I'll fix it. It's just a 2 minute thing for me
pls include a jpeg of how the actual logo looks (in colour)

Skonk
03-13-2003, 12:55 PM
As geoff3dnz said the polys were already there, select each one and cut it, paste it into a new layer, once thats done u can use the Drill tool set to stencil to cut the lettering and flames into the oval so u can surfice it or bevel it etc..
Dan Ablans Inside Lightwave 7 has a big section on creating a logo in this way using an EPS file and i think ud find it usefull :) if u have the cash to spend on it ofcourse.

If u dont know how to use the Drill tool let me know and i'll explain.

James..

Bytehawk
03-13-2003, 05:14 PM
got the eps to check it out
strangely enough there's only one poly the oval one, no other details/points.

my photoshop trick worked though I still had some boolean problems.

here's the result I mailed back

Skonk
03-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Looks nice :)

James..

riki
03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Did you check the 'Auto Drill' option when importing the EPS?

Bytehawk
03-13-2003, 05:59 PM
I tell ya I tried every possible way. That eps was just too funky to handle. That's why I used the photoshop trick.

Peter Palesh
03-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Wow!!!
That is absolutely amazing. I have so much to learn :)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions... and thankyou Bytehawk for all of your help...it is much appreciated.

Awesome :D

Bytehawk
03-14-2003, 05:29 AM
cheers mate !