PDA

View Full Version : Perspectives on Scene-building

Johnny
02-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm working on a bathroom scene (images in the work in progress board).

One of the biggest issues I wrestled with was: how much stuff to include in the scene? The main object is the sink and faucet, yet as the camera moves around, I feel the need to establish a credible location.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how much detail to include as well as quick and dirty, gets-the-job-done methods?

You could go around the bend adding more and more detail, never getting done, yet, there has to be a critical mass of detail which the eye and brain both say: "this is enough to establish the scene."

J

wingwalker
02-10-2004, 12:29 PM
hi

Have seen the posts in WIP, looking good.

I suppose its all down to your own judgment (not very helpful, I know).

Where is the scene set? In a hotel (where there are just the basics, a couple of bottles of free shampoo, some soap, towels and a glass.)

Or is it a bathroom of a family (tons of junk, nail scrubbers, novelty bubble baths, bath toys, etc. etc.)

Or the bathroom of a single man (a bar of soap (unused), pee on the tiles, a toothbrush that should have been thrown away 2 years ago)

you need to convince your audience that this / these people live there.

I think the rule of thumb is "there is enough detail as there needs to be, to make it beliveable"

Hope it helps

Rob T

sllink
02-12-2004, 10:16 AM
I agree with wingwalker. I would also consider whats the scene for? a character, male, female, story? Look at your own bathroom. What do you see? :)