PDA

View Full Version : Wierd "surface splits" puzzle

PSIpower
02-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi there!

I've been having a real headache with a model I've been working on for the last week. I've attached the model for you guys to look at.
Could someone please explain to me how the subdivided surface "splits" in certain places when taken into layout (or use CTRL-D in modeller).
This model is an extreme example of a problem that's happening with one of my models. There are no extra points, no extra polys, and this can happen with quads as well. And before anyone says its the tris, the tris shouldn't give this error, I should be able to (and can normally) triple the whole object and not get this error. The error is an actual set of points that are not welded on the frozen mesh (you can use CTRL-D in modeller to see it if you want to). On a side note, I can delete and remake the polys in exactly the same configuration using the same points and the problem is fixed. If I delete the endomorphs in the object the errors vanish....

I'm guessing its got something to do with the endomorphs but to be honest I've run out of ideas. I've made allot of models over the last 6 years and since using LW6+ I must have produced hundreds of models doing the same thing I've done for this one. But for some reason this is different.

Any help would really be great!

wingwalker
02-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Are these the "splits" your talking about?

meatycheesyboy
02-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Is there any way you could post a bigger chunk of the model? I think it does have something to do with the endomorphs but its hard to tell with this small piece of the model.

One observation, if you freeze the model then turn on subpatches in modeler, some of the points split into two points as shown below.

http://www.jjorg.com/forum/02-10-2004-brokenmesh.gif

thekho
02-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Use a merge points which will get rid of your splits.

See below

1) Subpatch
2) Frozen
3) Use a merge points. That's all.

PSIpower
02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Wing and Meaty: yep, those are the splits I'm talking about. Its a very strange error.

I'll see if I can get a larger segment of my model to upload. This will normally happen when I am welding different parts of my model together near the welds but not always that near. Could there actually be 2 points in these places but LW isn't registering them untill it freezes the meta-nurbs?

thekho: thanks but I'm trying to actually use the model for animations and having to freeze and merge points in modeller then take into layout is not a practical solution for me thanks ;) It needs to stay meta-nurbed.

PSIpower
02-10-2004, 05:01 PM
ok this is fun... I've attached another part of my model which has the same error on it. Now fiddling with it I can get the error to fix itself by changing subdivition from 3 to 4 or 2. Just not 3.

You can see this by taking the object into layout and setting the subdivition in layout for that object to be 2, you'll see the smoothing now works, set it to 3 and it breaks the surface now set it to 4 and it works again?!?!?!?! (I've included an image in the zip file attached to show this in action.)

This would be fine if I'd not modelled the character to be rendered at sub-D level 3. This confuses me even more now :confused: