PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Interior: My living room

otacon
02-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Finally finished with this one. Thanks to all who helped me out in the wip thread. Ive got three seperate views for ya. Tell me what you think!
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/livingroom11.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/livingroom13.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/livingroom9.jpg

Sarkaz
02-10-2004, 09:54 AM
you know you should post pictures of you models no pictures you took of you living room...lol jk looks awsome

zippitt2
02-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Pretty realistic...some angles some of the objects look a little soft, almost like plastic. Other than that, awesome job!!!

thekho
02-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Very nice work! I like your 2nd image, but i think your wall from the windows and the top corner from the door (your 2nd and last image) should get rid of your dirty white.

otacon
02-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks! Those white fragments at the top of the walls are the result of the lighting. All the walls are white all over, but the interpolated radiosity makes those imperfections along the corners.:(

sidetrak
02-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Must be foggy outside... Looks REALLY good! the shadow from the window to the curtains on the first image looks a little wierd but i could be wrong(or just too picky:) its easy to be too picky when you're loking at a photoreal image)
great job otacon:D

abishiai
02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
This is awesome!

I just noticed that you didn't include any end-to-end joints in the hardwood flooring.

Cheer,

kp

Jure
02-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Beautiful work! It's a pitty LW's radiosity let's you down like this with the blotches and all...
We *really* do need improved GI. I took a look at vray the other day and it is indeed amazing.

Again, you did a marvelous job!

otacon
02-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys. The floor texture was the best one i could find, but it did not have any of those joints. I know what you mean about the GI. It seems like those vray and brazil renders are always flawless...but i think i found a way to get rid of those spots, im testing some stuff out in a night scene im working on. Heres a little peek...

KeithJ
02-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Very Nice Job, I've rarely seen such convincing photoreality!

How long did it take to produce from start to finish, and how acurate is it? can we see the real thing?

:)

Keith

otacon
02-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks. Id say it took about a month to do. The thing that took the most amount of time was all the books, putting a texture on every spine. Its pretty acurate, i dont have a digital camera, but i might try to borrow one from my cousin so i can post some pics of the real thing.

DM67
02-14-2004, 06:50 AM
excellent work, compliments :cool:

otacon
02-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Heres a night version.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/livingroomnight7.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/livingroomnight5.jpg

Hervé
02-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Excellent images you have here... I prefer the day view... for the night view, the light looks a bit washed, you need to make the lights stronger with a fallof closer.... my pov....

Very nice job !!

agv
02-17-2004, 05:45 PM
These renders are fantastic and down right inspirational!

I thought of something you could try with your night image... take it into photoshop and boost the contrast a little. Or you can use the curve tool to enhance the overall contrast but allow the bright and dark areas to taper off. This would simulate how film records images. I tried boosting the contrast and brightness on your image, reduced the reds a little, and I thought the results were nice.

julos
02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
i love the second day view ! :)
how long did it take to render ? (and what about the light setings)

labrown
02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
These renderings are killer. Great work and attention to detail. I like the night and the day shots!

otacon
02-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks. agv: I tried that out just now and it does look pretty cool.
Heres the daytime light setup. About 10 hours per render on a slow computer. The night versions were only about 5 hrs.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/light.jpg

veljko
02-17-2004, 11:28 PM
dont be shy- write a word or two on the light setup-
how many lights, what kinds and stuff like that!

thx-
great stuff!

Hervé
02-17-2004, 11:43 PM
are the pink squares scaled area lights.... ?

otacon
02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Yea, the pink boxes are scaled area lights. I got one more area light outside acting as the sun, slight yellow color. Three area lights inside the house, the one on the middle floor has the highest intensity (besides the sunlight), its about 35%, and the one by the ceiling and on the floor by the front door are around 20%....they are all slightly warm colors. I got one point light down below the right side of that pic (cant be seen), it is slightly blue color with no shadows. All the area lights are set to quality of 4. I started wip on the scene with those two big area lights in the middle of the room, and a spotlight as the sun, and later on added the small one by the door, and the point light inside. I wanted to use mostly area lights because they are the best at simulating real lights. I tried messing with point lights in the corners, and spotlights here and there, but i never really got the results i was looking for until i switched to area lights. Another good thing about this setup is that it still looks pretty good without radiosity. But for that extra pinch of realism i had to use some interpolated radiosity. Hope that explains a bit better!

cg-freak
02-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Wow man, supercool, really love these renders. EXCELLENT!!:D

Grtzzzzzzzzzz.

Hervé
02-18-2004, 11:49 PM
yes again very excellent...!

riki
02-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Excellent work, nice house as well BTW.

veljko
02-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I would never think of using souch large area lights for thoes shots- well you live you learn!
thanx for the info- really helped

Scott Gammans
02-20-2004, 06:36 AM
VERY nice. One question: It looks like there is a lightbulb underneath your sofa and chairs. Is that another radiosity artifact?

Also, from an architectural POV, it looks like you're missing a landing at the top of the stairs that lead down to the basement. The edge shouldn't be a perfect 90° turn... there should be some curved wood sticking out over that first riser like a "lip".

EXCELLENT work (and thanks for the mini lighting tutorial).

otacon
02-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks. I think the reason it looks like a lightbulb is under the chair is because i forgot to close in the bottom. Could you explain what you mean by a landing? In the second pic, the stairs in the foreground that go down to the dining room, or the stairs in the far back that go down to a hallway? I dont get what area your talking about. Maybe if you could circle the area in ps and post the pic. I would really like to know what it is.

Igu4n4
02-20-2004, 09:53 PM
very nice.. the daytime shots lacked a certain shadow density... the night shots have a much much nicer high and low contrast. One thing that glares out at me which would solve any outstanding issues is that the window has nothing outside.. it needs something to provide grounding for the interior. A tiny DoF and you've got it.

Excellent work.

Steve.
www.iguana-den.com

Igu4n4
02-20-2004, 10:00 PM
actually after scrutinzing the images a little more.. here are a couple more suggestions.

The elements in your scene are great, you have a lot of detail in the "filler" of the image, (ie: books, plates, artifacts etc..). However, they are very rigid. Look at the books for example, the spines are flat. They tend to kill the realism that you have achieved else where. A little specularity, and some more organic details to these sort of things "sells" the objects.

Another point to consider when setting up any composition such as this, is that while everything has it's place, you don't want to have everything exist in those places perfectly. What you want is a controlled chaos. Again using the books as an example, you need to show the flaws in their placement. Some should be a little further out than others, perhaps the end one leaning slightly.. this goes the same for other elements. Remember computer generated imagery can be "perfect"... real life is far from perfect.. you have to reflect these imperfections in your image to heighten the believeability. In fact you can sacrifice some precision for this sake. A good moto to remember is that it doesn't need to be "perfect" it just has to be "believable".

When I teach 3d I spend the first day of lectures usually on these sort of fundementals... and they really do help. I know you used your own living space as the reference.. and by no means am I questioning your "housekeeping" ;) ... just add a little chaos.

Steve.
www.iguana-den.com

Hervé
02-21-2004, 01:23 AM
I think those Images are just right, .... sure you could be super peaky..... but for what it was intended , I think it's perfect... dont misunderstand me, if it was for a feature, and the goal was to replace a real set with actors, then you might go for a little more chaos, but last time I did a bit more chaos (I 've just made the walls a bit .... let's say... weathered.... the client did not like it AT ALL. architect are building nice super clean houses or appartments, that's what I've been told....

Now I'd like to know something form Newtek.... he he... considering the quality (superbe, really...!) and the time for rendering that type of quality, let's imagine a client wants a couple of minutes animation.... how would you deal with that.... let say 1000 frames.... baking all, yeah you could... (I did it once for a large project, first no matter what, you dont get the same quality as a direct radiosity render, but the suxxx part is to make the UV space as well a s baking all maps..... add a couple more months...

.... but your client has only 1 week left... I dont even think you could justify a "render.com" here, as that would cost a fortune.... a few hours /frame x 1000 frames = looooots of money....

this is the problem with LW now...:D

Hervé
02-21-2004, 01:31 AM
the only thing they are willing to accept is some toys left here and there by kids.... it's the kind of chaos people will accept....

Julez4001
02-29-2004, 04:14 PM
The room texture. Did you camera cature them or build them yourself. The rug int he middle of the floor is fantastic. Can you talk about your texture setup a little.

otacon
02-29-2004, 07:20 PM
I dont have a digi cam, so none of the textures are taken from my room. The floor, books, rugs, pillows, and pictures, are all textures i have collected over time from the internet. Everything else is done in lightwave with procudurals. I got the rug textures from this site here (http://www.plushrugs.com/) . They have a bunch of different selections. The floor texture is a seamless image map with a gradient on the reflection, and some procedural bump added. The couches have a slightly visible gradient on the color, where the green gets a little lighter, affected by the bump. And it has a procudural bump, i think its turbulence. Everything else is pretty standard...the lampshades and curtain have a little translucency, piano has some procedural color variations with a gradient reflection. Those books are what took the longest though. Putting a different texture on every spine....a few are duplicated though.;)

otacon
02-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh, i found a picture of our furniture on the internet. Ours i think has a slightly different green shade.
http://www.walkersfurniture.com/images/coosbay560002212003.jpg

oxyg3n
03-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Very nice work. Looks very real

Abigor
03-10-2004, 11:21 AM
hey man, great work! could u give us some info on ur radiosity setttings and render times? cause the night lighting looks great, and if its just those 2 lamps casting the light thast awesome... if u could give some feedback on how u were able to get them to light up the whole room like that, that would b great. thanx! and keep up the great work.

otacon
03-10-2004, 12:12 PM
For the night setup, i have two point lights in each lamp....one has shadows turned on, and one has shadows turned off with a lower intensity. They both have inverse falloff. That is what gives the middle of the lamp more light than the outer edges. Now those two lights alone cant light the whole room realistically, so i have a scaled area light up by the ceiling thats pointing down to give some more light to the rest of the room. So there are 5 lights total in that shot. The radiosity is basically the same as the daytime version, (i posted the settings in an earlier post) but the tolerence is a little higher, maybe around .7. I found that helped remove some of those spots around the ceiling.

IgnusFast
03-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Wow, just goes to show how differently people approach the same subject! I was having problems with trying to create realistic lamp shades as well. I wound up creating a two-layer shade object- both are the same shape, but one is ever-so-slightly smaller. The inner one is mostly transparent, and is used to block some of the light to create the shade's shadow. The outer one has shadows turned off and is partially translucent to create that nice inner light effect. This has let me only put one point light in the lamp for illumination. The only thing I haven't tried is putting in the support wires to see if they look good. Just too lazy. :)

Here's the end result:

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Holy cow!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
Is this your cat, at your icon?
What do you feed her? Other cats?

BTW, excellent lighting setup! 10 hours per frame, you say? Maybe, it's worth to invest some extra time to setup a bake procces for all indirect lighting and use that in a diffuse or color map?
Just a thought....:)
Cheers,

otacon
03-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Its not my cat, just found it on the internet...buts thats one huge cat. Good point about baking the lights.
IgnusFast: Thats a good setup for lamp lights, i might have to try it sometime.

Abigor
03-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Ah, ok.. you used an area light fill. Question on area lights though. On all my use of them, it has always been my experience that area lights shine both ways, both forward (what you would see in Light View) and backward (the opposite). is there a way to get around this?

IgnusFast
03-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Maybe put an unseen by camera polygon on the side you don't want casting light?

Abigor
03-13-2004, 11:34 AM
well ya, thats the obvious answer... thats wat iv done it for years, but its a pain in the ***, so im just wondering if theres a better way.

IgnusFast
03-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Not to my knowledge; I'd like to see a lot more development from Newtek with regard to lights. Either speed up Radiosity so we can use polygon lights in more scenes, or do some R&D and come up with some cool hybrid solutions... :)