PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave X

art
02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
It seems that some software evelopers drop the usual versioning scheme after a reaching certain number.
Some examples are adobe products (CS), macromedia (MX) windows (XP) I think autocad went pretty far with its version 14 and then switched to years. There are probably more good examples, I just dont remember more.
I think that something like Lightwave 17 (i know, long way to go) would look ... weird.

I wonder if newtek has any plans for a new name (10 is not far away on the list). I just hope it won't be lightwave 2005 (pro edition) or something like that.

:p

themaxx
02-14-2004, 11:01 PM
dropping version numbers in favor of arbitrary name extensions (XP, CS, etc) is an idiotic practice. Version numbers are not mere decorations; they serve a useful purpose. In fact, they're still necessary even with the randomly named apps. I'm running Photoshop CS, which is version 8.0. If they release a patch, does it become Photoshop CS.01? No, it becomes Photoshop CS version 8.01. What purpose do they serve other than making tech support's job more difficult?