PDA

View Full Version : subpatch to layout problem

shi4
02-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi, I've been using lightwave for about a week now, running into some issues sending subpatched objects from modeler into layout.

When modeling the object, using only quads, modeler renders it beautifully as a subpatched object without polygon seams. However when sending that same object to layout, everything is (automatically?) converted to triangles, which results in polygon seams and bad smoothing. Do I have a setting wrong or something? I'm attaching the screen shot examples. Modeler screen on left and layout on right.

Elmar Moelzer
02-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Shi!
Well, this is first of all just a difference in the way the wireframe is displayed.
Internally the subpatches are always converted into triangles prior to display. You might want to adjsut your Layout- subdivision- levels to match Modeler, so it looks the same in shaded views. I dont think that there should be any of the problems resulting from the differences between Layout and Modeler.
CU
Elmar

shi4
02-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks, after some other's great help, I finally found out that I did not have smoothing enabled on the surface of the object in layout.

From I've read on the net, it seems that quads are suggested to model subpatch surfaces, and that triangles can have shading problems. Why is that, when it's converted into triangles anyway?