2 LightWave Eight Light Features

Multiple Light Manipulation: 2 meg
Example of quickly editing properties on multiple lights
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/multi_light.avi

Open GL image projection: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/project_image2.avi

Hervé
02-09-2004, 08:55 AM
hey these videos are cool, I like the multiple light possibility..... nice !

we want more !

Thomas
02-09-2004, 08:57 AM
REALLY like the projected OpenGL thing...

Cool...

Regards

Thomas

Exper
02-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Well done! :D

Bye.

Dodgy
02-09-2004, 10:06 AM
You can already do colour changes in 7.5c, but the type is new....
What about Volumetric settings/lenseflare settings?

gazmon
02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
i wish you could put these in a format Mac Quicktime reads without having to dowload new codecs, I feel like I'm missing out!!
PS: not in a mood - just would be nice :-)
Gaz

nixx
02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Proton - About the lights video, is this behavior "global" throughout LW8 ? Does the same logic apply to object properties, cameras, etc ? Can I multi-select some objects and make them all "unseen by camera" for example, all at once ? Thanks.

nick

Kvaalen
02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I remember seeing the changing of multiple light properties on the Siggraph vidoes but didn't hear about it since so I was getting a little worried. :) Nice to see it again.

But (as asked before) does that apply to objects, bones and cameras too?

CoryC
02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by gazmon
i wish you could put these in a format Mac Quicktime reads without having to dowload new codecs, I feel like I'm missing out!!
PS: not in a mood - just would be nice :-)
Gaz

All the new videos are available as QT files compressed with Sorensen 3 so you shouldn't need any new codecs. There is a small delay between when the AVIs are posted and when the QT files are ready.

Beamtracer
02-09-2004, 01:40 PM
The Lightwave videos are released in the obscure Techsmith codec. In my opinion it's unsuitable for web downloads like this. Lossless codecs just add to the file sizes.

Quicktime Sorenson 3 would be better for this kind of thing.

Originally posted by CoryC
There is a small delay between when the AVIs are posted and when the QT files are ready.
Why is there a delay for the Quicktime version? It only takes a few seconds to convert these things.

WilliamVaughan
02-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Once you have the link it's no longer Obscure :)

Techsmith works on both Mac and PC so everyone has access to these videos. The QT version is made available with about 10-20 minutes which is fast turn around thanx to Cory and Deuce.

Great job guys!

WizCraker
02-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I want to know what is with the short videos. I mean it is cool that we are seeing features but some of these videos are like 1 minute long [okay maybe not that short but close]. The longest video was when you were rigging but there was no audio and it was boring to watch.

TSpyrison
02-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Dammit people can we find more stupid crap to complain about?

Are some of you not happy unless you are bitching about something???

Dammit..

WilliamVaughan
02-09-2004, 04:37 PM
The short videos allow for easy downloads and allow us to create a link to a particular feature instead of mixing them all in one video like the first 12 which where larger files with multiple tools.

If it makes you happy you could always download all the videos and edit them into one long demo :)

badllarma
02-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by proton
If it makes you happy you could always download all the videos and edit them into one long demo :)

Now that is funny :D

Glad to see your keeping your sence of humour Proton with all the bitching going on, ok I know I've also joined in with the NAB post but it's like Santa showing us all these toys on Christmas Day but then saying you cannot have them until next Christmas.

Keep them coming if it carries on like this we won't need the manual anyway as we will have a video for everything :D

CB_3D
02-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh yes, a great way to familiarize ourselves with 8.

gazmon
02-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by CoryC
All the new videos are available as QT files compressed with Sorensen 3 so you shouldn't need any new codecs. There is a small delay between when the AVIs are posted and when the QT files are ready.
Cheers for that CoryC. I must have been to keen! Also noticed that I needed to update quicktime.
Gaz

Matt
02-10-2004, 03:09 AM
Small but very useful and welcome changes!

Thx for posting them Proton (and obviously the programming team for creating them!)

- - -

Nix had a good question though, has the 'global editing' function been rolled out to other items besides lights?

Red_Oddity
02-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Ignoring all the whining nannies around here (the're downloading 10 Meg videos and still manage to complain at having to download a codec not bigger than 170 KB...)

Proton, do projections from Lights have antialiasing included now, or are projections still direct pixel projection, making lower res projection maps look like mosaics?
Just wondering...

Ade
02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Can you group a couple of lights and give them a group name when u need to select them again?

maybe this is a makeshift fix cause we dont have instances.

WilliamVaughan
02-10-2004, 06:24 AM
I think you will like teh documentation this time around....

Exper
02-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Hey... maybe NT is delay LW[8] to find the time in writing some good documentation?

Great news for every potential new customer! ;)

Bye.

badllarma
02-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Exper
Hey... maybe NT is delay LW[8] to find the time in writing some good documentation?

Great news for every potential new customer! ;)

Bye.

You mean dare I say it.....................page numbers as well! Woohooooo :D

WizCraker
02-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Theres always been page numbers, just not an index.