PDA

View Full Version : Build OGO_Taiki into LightWave

Emmanuel
02-09-2004, 04:45 AM
NewTek, please make this guy an offer he can't resist, his atmospheric plugin would be THE killer feature for future releases !

Panikos
02-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Why do you ask Newtek to include this in LW. The only thing that keeps you away from it is only $60.
If it has a Newtek-logo on the top, do you think that it will make it a better plugin, or will it include more features ?
You encourage Newtek to swallow this plugin developer, why ? because he develops something that Newtek couldnt think of, or Newtek cannot do

Pitty
:( :confused:

bloontz
02-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Actually it's $30 for both Ogo Hikari and Ogo Taiki I believe, and while I already own the plugins I would love to see Newtek aquire them both. The developer doesn't seem to have the time to devote to them so if Newtek aquired them maybe they would be optimized and documented. I doubt the developer is making much money from them and may be open to selling the code at a low price.

Capt Lightwave
02-09-2004, 10:45 AM
As far as I know there was an issue with his employer, who didn't like the idea that he was making money writing software on his spare time...

Newtek should really try to get this, optimize it and make some decent documentation.

riki
02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Panikos
Why do you ask Newtek to include this in LW. The only thing that keeps you away from it is only $60.

No that's not true, I'd have to buy a PC for it to work.

Mylenium
02-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah, even if it were only 30 $ it would still be nice if LW had Taiki and Hiakari built-in. Apart from the fact that Mr. Ogo does no longer develop things further, this would solve several problems and greatly boost LW's productivity:

a) They could optimize the code and make it fast as hell.

b) People would stop complaining about crappy old SkyTracer.

c) You would get several advanced shading effects such as volumetric transparencies, absorption and SSS.

Of course some may say these arguments could be valid for a lot of plugins. However, with Mr. Ogo's tools it's a bit different. Since he is no longer allowed to take care of things (?), it's about time NT jump to the rescue. Otherwise those gems will be lost and sadly this wouldn't be the first time such a thing happens with LW related stuff. Just think of Genesis VFX, Starfire etc. .... History must not repeat itself.

Mylenium

riki
02-10-2004, 12:23 AM
They could offer to donate some funds to a charity of his choice. Just a suggestion, maybe other options. Piad in goods maight be another.

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-11-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd say that...
Panicos point here is very correct and stands for all the plugin developers out there...

On the other hand though, if this developer can't/won't update these two plugins anymore or can't/don't make enough money out of them, he could do the community a favor and sell the code to Newtek. And Newtek should buy them and optimize them, since the Taiki, for example, is the BEST 3D volumetric cloud solution ever build for a computer...

I don't know if the above are correct or just rummors though.
The Taiki after a long period, got a tiny update. At least for the version number, since i don't see any vital change in the interface or render times. But, this means that the developer did some work on it, after all....

Just my 2 cents...

Lightwolf
02-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Hi there,
I'm currently experimenting with the current Taiki beta version (I might have to create 2 Mins. of 2K scope clouds :) ).
I totally agree with Gregg, this plugin is beautiful. I t could certainly be sped up here and there, the UI has some issues, the documentation lacks etc...
Well, ogo(?) could sell to NT, sell to someone else (like Worley :) ) or make it openSource if he doesn't mind his ip being available (ip as in intellectual property)...
As for optimizations... well, I don't really think you can make it _that_ much faster. It seems that the plugin is already cutting corners wherever it can.
And there is quite a difference between rendering a single cloud (like naturefx 2.0,which can be optimized like hell), and a whole layer of clouds on such a huge scale.
Cheers,
Mike

Panikos
02-12-2004, 04:15 AM
OGO_Taiki is great for many reasons.
It allows straight access to the 3d world in layers.
You can have Sky, clouds, atmosphere mist, rainbows, fog, ground-fog, procedural terrain, volumetric beams (A N Y volumetrics actually) etc and all these radiosity compatible as well as compatible with LW procedural textures and image maps.

Of course having all these loaded the rendering time is slow, however you have the option to select what layers you want and reduce the accuracy of the calculations to have acceptable rendering times.
:)

You can find some tutorial about OGO_Taiki here:
http://www.firedragon.com/~flashfire/html/landscapes/c07/c07g.html

Exper
02-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Maybe... employing him! :D