PDA

View Full Version : Stone Temple

Jimzip
02-09-2004, 12:16 AM
This piece has just been a small side-project over the course of the last few months, I worked on it maybe once or twice a week, and now it's done.
Created with Newtek's Lightwave 3D 7.5

An older version is at my home:
jimzip.deviantart.com
This one's the second revision. Crits & comments?

Jimzip :D

Jimzip
02-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Oops.. Sorry for the huge size. How do I make a link to it?

adrian
02-09-2004, 12:49 AM
I like the leaves/plants. Did you do those in LW too?

It's a good pic; the only thing that really stands out for me are the sharp edges to the stairs/sides of the objects. Maybe bevel the edges just a little.

Adrian.

cathuria
02-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I just love the idea here, but the finishing and lighting leave it lacking...

All the sharp edges give it a very "Tomb Raider" feel -- just about everything here needs to be beveled.
The shafts of light are way too crisp; it doesn't look "right" and it detracts from the otherwise misty/moody feel of the scene.

I would say, remodel at least the key forground bits of ruin; and then relight either with radiosity or painter-style cheat lights to create fills & shadows where they look best.
This is the kind of image that could be elevated from nice to buttt kicking --:)

zippitt2
02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
It looks like a radiosity render would help out greatly here.

Jimzip
02-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Cool. Thank you Cathuria & Adrian, I'll take those suggestions into consideration and change things when next I work on it.

Zippet2.. What, are you serious? It's on 8X16 sampling on Monte Carlo radiosity. It took nearly 50 hours to render. :eek:

Also, the lights filtering down are polygons, just in case you were wondering... ;) That's why they're so crisp. I will dirty them up.

Thanks everyone.

zippitt2
02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Odd, I don't mess with the radiosity that much but when I do I get a smoother effect with it. It's just all about the lighting though. Right now it is certainly too crisp and clear. Ouch on the 50 hours :( Still looks good though.

Turner
02-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Is LW really that slow with radiosity?

No offense, but it doesn't look like radiosity at all. Seriously, something is off in your settings... Can you export the file to DXF or make if available somehow? I'd love to give it a shot...

cheers,
Andrew

milkman
02-12-2004, 06:54 PM
heres a plugin you might try.

bevels all sharp edges, but I havn't tried it.

milkman
02-12-2004, 06:55 PM
also, i'd soften the shadows a bit,and the lighting needs quite a bit of work.