PDA

View Full Version : For those doing STL import (solidworks)

SLAYER
02-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi,
I have been turned on to an Lscript here from Chromecow for bringing Solidworks files into Lightwave.

This works fine as Solidworks parts, although I have to flip the normals every time I bring something in. I have no luck with the import option. I save in SW as an STL and then just read it in LW. Do I use the Import function of this Lscript ever?

For Assemblies, every part comes in as a new part. Is there a way to bring these all into one OBJ without cutting and pasting from one part to another? Some of my assemblies have 100 or more parts.

Also, for going from LW to Solidworks via the export, I cannot get good results. I assume I triple my object first, but everything still goes across faceted and ugly. IS there a way around this for taking parts from LW to Solidworks?

Thanks

ChromeCow
03-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you've tried, but this is the way it is supposed to work:

1. Save file as STL in SolidWorks

2. Open LW Modeler

3. Click on Construct>Lscript>Lscript

4. Choose SHM_STL_Importer_v1.10.ls and click Open

5. Where the plugin says: Import STL File, choose the file you want to import.

The plugin should be able to figure out if the file is ASCII or Binary, so leave the selector on Auto.

Generally, the Byte Order selector should be set to Intel, but if you are no luck importing, try it set to Mac.

Hope this helps,
Sean Hyde-Moyer
www.chromecow.com