PDA

View Full Version : First finished product. "Spilt Milk"

instinKt
02-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Okay, after much fussing around in Lightwave trying to teach myself various things. this idea came to my head after something someone told me when I showed them a render of a glass on its side.

First, the original scene...

instinKt
02-08-2004, 06:46 PM
And now the actual finished product.

The whole idea basically told me how I was feeling at the moment it came to me. The final edidting idea was to give it an old, run down look. Almost creepy I guess.

Anyway, the piece really suits how I wanted.

adrian
02-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Excellent work. Actually I prefer the top picture (excellent surfacing of the milk).

You've certainly achieved the old/run down look in the 2nd pic.

How did you model the milk? Is it a sub-patched object?

Adrian.

instinKt
02-09-2004, 02:17 AM
The milk was a nightmere for a while. At first, I just used the pen tool to make a spill like shape, then smooth shifted it up to give it a slight depth, and added a white shiny surface. Then it looked like melted plastic had just rolled out of the glass. So I went with something different.

The second time, I actually did spill some milk and drew the basic outline on paper. Scanned it and used it as a reference backdrop in modeller, then used the same technique as before to give it depth. Trippled the polys and sub patched.

Then I gave it transparent edges by selecting certain top verticies in modeller and dragged them in to give more of a slope, rather than a bulge. Then in modeller, I used a gradient on the transparency channel that worked on the Y distance to the table object.

Then I just added a very slight bump to it, and adjusted the spec and gloss and reflection till I was happy enough. I'm still not too sure about it, but it's good enough for now. :)

peder
02-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Exellent, but...
Your glass is to clean..... milk stains the glass quite a bit, so you should dirty it up.

oh.. and put some crums on the plate.

Otherwise very nice!

Peder

khan_one
02-10-2004, 05:33 AM
great job for the milk, you should add a little bit noise on the glass, glasses are never so perfect as peder said...

www.khan973.fr.st