PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Bug?

Matt
02-10-2003, 11:07 AM
I have one particular scene that seems to cause problems with reflections. Two oddities I have noticed are:

1) When fading in objects using object dissolve, their reflections just BANG! appear straight away, they don't fade in with the object

2) When using clipmaps on the transparency channel to cut out people, the reflection still shows the whole image

Anything I should check on this scene that might be causing these errors?

See attached image for more detail . . .

Cheers
Matt

Matt
02-10-2003, 11:16 AM
BTW: It's a complicated scene and I needed fast renders so I lowered my recursion limit to 2, I upped this to 3 and the clipmap seems to work okay now, not sure about the other problem.

I think this has solved it.

You learn something new every day!

Skonk
02-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Thats a strange one, not really sure what to suggest.

James..

Hervé
02-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Well, then Iam pretty sure this problem does not exists in Hypersmooth.... you just cannot achieve in LW what you are looking for as far as reflection intensity fading.... refelctions of LW are always additive, in other word, good but very not realistic.... but for the clip map, I really dont know.... hum could it be a bug ??

Q: are those clip map people from Marvin stuff ?? maybe you should e-mail him, and ask if other have ported the same problem...?

Hervé:confused:

Elmar Moelzer
02-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Try a transparency- map- clip- map- combo...
CU
Elmar

Red_Oddity
02-11-2003, 09:24 AM
It's just a indication that your recursion limit is too low.

LW still calculates a clipped area as 1 recursion or bounce
Dissolves need a higher recursion aswell.

(I had the same problems as well with a project, it all boiled down too something as simple as the recursion limit, when using reflections always use a bare minimum of four recursions, with transparent (dissolved. clipped, textured or otherwise) objects even more.)

So, it's not a bug, but something you actually did yourself, you told lightwave to stop rendering anything past the second bounce on surface/object the raytracer hits.

PHilly[Dee]
02-12-2003, 12:14 PM
try turning on "Ray Trace Trancparency". Another thing is to use the Trancparency instead of clip map, and give a value higher than 1.0 to the refraction(ie. 1.000000000001). This worked for me on some things with reflection problems. Also, you can try to envelope the Trancparency to fade in, instead of using object dissolve. (Just a hunch)

Post what ended up working!!!:eek:

Matt
02-12-2003, 01:37 PM
thanks for the replies guys!

red_oddity, you were right, I did figure this out in the second post in this thread but nobody picked this up!

:)

Red_Oddity
02-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Doh, sorry man, must be getting a little dyslectic:eek: