PDA

View Full Version : Hardware key installation problem...help

Karl Hansson
02-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Hello I just bought a PC and I want to install lightwave on it. The problem is that I cant install the drivers for the dongle.

I'm installing from my LW7 CD. The installer tells me that the hardware key is not installed so I press OK to install the drivers. The installation fails but still I get the message to reboot the system to allow the new drivers to install. So I reboot. Insterts the LW7 CD again to install LW. Again I get the message that my hardware key is not installed. What to do....?

My system
Brand new Dell Inspiron 8600 with windows XP professional, 1024MB RAM, ATI 9600 128 mob.

I have a USB duo dongle (Mac/PC) for Lightwave.

Thankful for help

phil lawson
02-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Try downloading the latest dongle drivers from http://www.rainbow.com/support/index.asp then once complete try installing lightwave again.

Cheers.

Karl Hansson
02-08-2004, 11:31 AM
OK I've installed the new drivers avialable at rainbow.com. But now when I insert the dongle key I'm getting a bluescreen... What now?

phil lawson
02-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Mmmm ok, this is what I would try next. I would uninstall the new driver for the dongle.

Then, I'd update my chipset drivers for my m/b as these control the usb (unless your using a usb card).

Then reinstall the drivers for dongle and plug it back in afterwards.

The bluescreen could be a problem with the usb chip drivers or the dongle drivers.

Cheers.

Sastira
02-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I would highly suggest you run windows update and update to all the latest service packs, bug fixes, security fixes, etc.

Steve McRae
02-08-2004, 01:12 PM
aside from any other hardware issues that you may be experiencing, I have had the problem in the past where things will not work properly unless you install all of the dongle drivers (ie. parallel *and* usb etc.)

in other words, don't select 'custom' when the install program asks you what to install - select 'everything'

cheers,

Karl Hansson
02-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try these things.