PDA

View Full Version : supermicro CSE-742S ?

chribba
02-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Is anyone using Supermicros 4U Rackmountable Tower cases and could give me some advise if there are problems with cooling or other stuff i need to know before i buy one....

Link: http://www.supermicro.com/images/Imag_Prod/CASE/SUPER%20SC860-SC840%20CHASSIS%20SPECIFICATIONS_files/SC742serial.pdf

thanks
chribba

PIZAZZ
02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I just built a system for a client in one of those with the X5DA8 and it went together fairly well. Cooling did not seem to be an issue. I would suggest buying a second internal cooling fan for the hard drive area since ours only came with one fan.

Overall a pretty good case but heavy as all get out since it is all steel.

For rackmount cases I have found others that I like better, especially the aluminum ones. The aluminum ones are lighter and also cool better.

The most challenging rackmount case I have installed a system into has been a 2U size case. Tight is an understatement but after it was all said and done it turned out really sweet.

Let me know if I can help you find one.

PIZAZZ
02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh and one other thing about the supermicro case...

The DVD or CD rom will be vertical so either you have to use a slot load or fight the discs.

I found that was a real pain.

chribba
02-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for your information.
It would be great to get some ups and down on diffrent types of cases.
I want to find a really good case for a supermicro SUPER X5DA8 card and VT3.

Thanks
Chribba

Videolink
02-12-2004, 12:09 PM
We have created many many VT systems with the X5DA8 board and the CSE742S case
We like it because of its convertability from tower to rack.
a small internal fans specifically for the scsi drives is a nice idea and easy to implement, but not necessary.
alluminum is nice, lighter, cooler but not as hardy, so for rackmount that moves around, I like the heavy steel.
for permanant install, look at the Lian Li server cases, nice!