PDA

View Full Version : particle and parent motion

andromeda_girl
02-06-2004, 02:49 PM
hay-
starting to get progress with my pfx work here, but now the parent motion is affecting the look way too much.

if i put parent motion to 0%, i was expecting the shape to remain as if the emitter was standing still, but instead it emits a lot of round puffs rather than the uniform shape.

slow movements are giving acceptably stretched results but it's the very quick movements that ruin the look-

how exactly does the 'max speed' under the etc. tab affect things?
can't figure that one out.

really need a solid, uniform shape to the particle fx even during motion of the parent object.

any help?
thanks.
~A.

HowardM
02-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Round puffs? The HVs or the PFX?

Are you sure you dont have any Explosion or Vibration?

What are you trying to do?
Have particles spawn from a moving object but not move?

andromeda_girl
02-06-2004, 05:52 PM
ok-
try to explain real gooder here:

i have a character with rockets in his boots.

when he flies, rocket flames emit from the bottoms of his boots behind him.
i have the particle fx done using hypervoxels, the emitter is parented to the ankle.

it looks exactly how i want it to look, but when the guy moves FAST the particles trail behind him looking like 'puffs' or 'dots' of particles, and what i want is a permanent rocket flame shape, that remains consistant just as it does when he is standing still.
i do not want a trail of smoke or a contrail type look, only the flame shape remaining consistant despite his movement and speed.

i think this is somehow a parent motion issue here, but can't figure it out.
there has to be a way to keep the particles effect remaining steady and constant, instead of being affected by the movement of the character.
some and i do mean a tiny bit of movement is acceptable, but not trails of puffs behimd him.

help!
~A.

HowardM
02-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Well yes then max speed can help you.
Lower the speed. Its meters per second.

Ok, so you mean when some flames get too far away, they look like balls, instead of flames?
Lets see some images or animations...what do youre flames look like? Did you start with Neweteks great HV flame preset?

Theres so many factors without seeing a sample to judge.
Could be your particle age, flame gradients, # of particles, sprites vs volumes...etc..etc.
:p

Again, youre sure no parent motion, no explosion, no vibration, anything?

Jeez, cant believe I havent asked yet - youre remembering to hit FX start too?
:p

andromeda_girl
02-06-2004, 06:14 PM
ok, the forum obviously hates attachments so this is the last time i am writing this one out.

email me and i'll send files that way.
andromeda underscore girl at hot mail dot com
thanks for the assistance.
~A.