PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping type for procedural textures

deemon
02-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Should have been implemented years ago, IMO.

adboy
02-10-2003, 12:11 PM
got my vote

Skonk
02-10-2003, 12:22 PM
got my vote too :)

adboy, u the same adboy from lightwaverz on dalnet?

James..

adboy
02-10-2003, 12:27 PM
i may have passed by there :)

Elmar Moelzer
02-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Hmm, while I really have wished for soemthing like that too, I am not sure on how this should work.
Procedurals are not like flat maps, but are more like Volumes (like hypervoxels, i.e.). You would have to define 3 coordiantes on the procedural, not just 2 as is possible with UV- maps. So one would need special 2d- procedurals to make this work or so I think.
Though I mightbe wrong here.
If it can be done, it would be great to have it!
CU
Elmar

deemon
02-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Well, other apps (no names) could do that for ages, why LW can't

If you deform an object in Layout with any deform plug-ins/texture/morph target, procedural textures do follow these deformations properly, just like if they were UV mapped.

JDaniel
02-10-2003, 08:31 PM
What about baking them to your UV map image?

ToonShady
02-10-2003, 11:01 PM
The only other app I know do have both 3d volume type procedurals and the 2d uv type.

I remember there's a tutorial awhile back that shows you can apply procedurals onto a texture map, via the texture filter plugin, that you apply to a surface using UV space.

I quick example is take a shere, create a spherical uv map. Then apply an image (any color and size, 512?) as a texture map to the surface using the spherical UV that we just created. Now open image editor and under the "processing" tab, apply a texture filter plugin, and from there, apply you procedurals, gradients, or whatever combination.

deemon
02-11-2003, 04:25 AM
That UV mapped empty image with applied texture filter trick is fine but it kind of contradicts the whole procedural texture idea. I mean, of course a smart artist can find workarounds for almost every LW shortcoming, but it's 2003 for Chrissake!

Chris S. (Fez)
02-11-2003, 04:44 AM
Yep.

Qslugs
02-12-2003, 02:20 PM
On a related note, I have seen in Maya where it renders a lores bitmap of the procedural you are working on for use in realtime. That I think would be just as useful or even more useful than uv map procedurals. Hell implement both of thoes.