PDA

View Full Version : blending tut

fxmodels
03-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know where there is a good tutorial showing how to blend say a cube into a sphere in a smooth transition? I have seen it in Rhino but not in LW...

Thanks,

Marc

Elmar Moelzer
03-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Hello
What you are talking about is called morphing. There are plenty of tutorials on morphing and/or endomorphs available on the web.
For the box to ball- orph do the following:
In Modeler
Build a box with olts of segemnts in all axis (nummeric options). Then make a new endomorph of it (the "M" on the bottom right stands for endomorph). Use the spherize- command to turn the box into a sphere. Save object.
In Layout open the object and go to the object- properties- deformation- tab and add Morphmixer as a custom deformation. Go into the morphmixer- properties and change the values. You will see the Cube turn into the sphere.
Hope hat helps
CU
Elmar

Simon
03-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Well you'd just need your cube, subdivide (facet) it loads, then make a new morph in modeller and use the spherise plugin on that morph. Then mess around with adjusting the morph target in layout (I'm not really that up on morphs and stuff like sliders but I think that's about it).

Simon.

Simon
03-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Elmar's typing is faster than mine ;)

dbolto
03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Don't the polys have to be the same number with the base object and the object that you want to morph?

danilo
03-13-2003, 03:08 PM
yes

dbolto
03-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Is it possible to blend between objects of different poly counts? Seen a post once where Userdelta morphed an young woman into an older lady. Any Ideas?

Elmar Moelzer
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
No, this aint possible.
In fact not only the number of vertices has to be the same, but also their order, or the morphing wont look the way you would expect it to look like.
If I remember correctly Userdelta used endomorphs , which have the advantage that Lightwave takes care of the vertex- count/order issue for you.
CU
Elmar

fxmodels
03-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Sorry guys, GREAT responses on morphing and thank you but the original question I can see was not worded clearly enough .

My original question can be worded more clearly the following way:

If I have a sphere for example and a box intersects it, it makes a hard edge where the two intersect. How can I build a smooth transition at that intersection surface the whole way around? Does LW even have such a surface blending capability in Modeler? In Rhino this is called Blending the surface I think but I cannot find an equivalent in LW7.5.

Thanks,

Marc

robol921
03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi, Maybe using the union command and after the Subdivide command with the metaform option, or trying the Smooth command