PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Launch / Smoke / Hypervoxels

Colonelbob
02-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Hey all,

I am trying to create the smoke/fire from the exhaust of a rocket launching into space. I have read everything I can find, but there doesn't seem to be any current tutorials on this. Most of the ones I have found are old or require special plugins.

I have tried numerous times working with emitters, and hypervoxels but can't quite get the look I want.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial that is up (lots I found are no longer working) and doesn't require any extra plug-ins?

Thanks.

The look I want is similar to this screen capture from the Maas Digital: Mars Lander Animation. See attached

pdrake
02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
try this:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Colonelbob
02-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks, . . .

Been there, done that. Tried em all. Most are actually down at this point. Thanks for the suggestion though.

HowardM
02-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Read this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109006&perpage=20&pagenumber=1)
the key to good particle effects is the use of Parent/Child hierarchies!
dont just use an emitter spitting out particles, use a parent spitting out particles that then spawn more particles...

then, from there, learn how to use Gradients with HVs to control the color, size, etc over time...its not that hard once you get it.

wingwalker
02-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi

Which bit are you having problems with...?

The hyprevoxel column?

The texturing (having the bright yellow at the top and moving down to the smokey texture)?

The hypervoxel texture?

Rob T

Colonelbob
02-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey thanks for the replies.

The main things that I am having trouble with are getting the column to look full but still like smoke ( I am using sprite mode with hypervoxel, because the volume mode looks too solid) and the changing of colour from top to bottom with the fire at the top.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HowardM
02-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Well youre not going to get Sprites to look good! :p

Youre best bet is to download Pepitos scene or any other tutorial/scene out there, and learn from them.
Load em up, learn how to use the Gradients to color the smoke over time, make it billow, expand, etc.

Have fun!
:D

Freak
02-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Multiple Emitters (2 or 3 Minimum)

You can use a mixture of Volume and Sprites (or surface)
but sprites by themselves ain't gonna cut it.....

It's going to take you some time to get it to work (really well)
(why i wish we used Presets for PFX)

From the picture above, it looks like they (they being DD i think)
used a rather high number of particles.....
And will take a LONG time to render....

The trick there, is to start with a low number and add more for final renders.

for more references, I remember Randy Sharp (DD) had some nice ones on his Demo reel, and there is also some nice references in Jimmy Nuetron.

Hope it helps!

Turner
02-07-2004, 07:36 AM
FYI

http://www.maasdigital.com/mervideo-tech.html

"All of the rendering was done on a small home-built network of 5-10 Linux PCs, for which I wrote a custom distributed rendering controller."

Yikes!

wingwalker
02-07-2004, 11:18 AM
hows this....will keep going at it to get better results

Colonelbob
02-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Hey that looks great, That's the look I am working at getting. Thanks all for the replies. I will keep trucking away at it, and if I get anything even remotely decent I will post results.

Thanks

Freak
02-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Sorry, i thought the pic at the top was from DD..... ( i should really read more)

Although if the below quote from Dan is true, Maya's particles
render faster than HV anyway....

Quote from Dan...

"I continue to use Lightwave for most of my modeling and animation, with very occasional use of Maya for special effects (e.g. particles)"

PS...
Looking good Wingwalker!

From my own experience is fairly easy to look good in stills, but much harder to make it work in a realistic animation....
Post your results though fella's I love particles...