PDA

View Full Version : XP network limit cripples render farm

Graham Nichols
02-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I'm delving into the joys (?) ofnetwork rendering. Currently I use Tequila Screamernet render manager and nodes. It plays nicely. My LW machine is a 1GHz Athlon whos hard drive is shared for the purpose. This ran fine and dandy with 8 x 2GHz Athlon boxes acting as a small render farm. Today though, I slotted another two nodes together to finally be told that I was unable to connect to the shared drive due to too many network connections. Boo! A skip through Google confirmed that there is an inbound connection limit of ten connections for Windows XP. As our US cousins correctly point out 'This sucks!'.

So, cats and kittens, how do you work around this? I'm sure that many of you have beefier setups than my modest pocket can support. Ten seems a bit weeny to me. I'd like to see the results of my renders while I'm still (relatively) young.

best, Graham

Aegis
02-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I came up against this - to do it properly you need one machine (the content server) running Windows Server 2003. If the Linux ScreamerNet node was a. working and b. available then that would be another option (although you could just have one networked Linux box storing the content, plugins, renders and the ScreamerNet command directory). The final way would be to split the farm and have half of the machines render half the frames and the other PC's do the rest...

WCameron
02-05-2004, 11:09 PM
supposedly this little app: http://www.x-setup.net/ has the ability to alter the number to whatever you chose.

works on 2002 as well.

again, supposedly. but heres the original thread on THE site
for windows (add version codesign here) problems :

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1016230442

do post back here if it works!

- Will.

lots
02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
what version of xp are you using?

i've never had that problem. I've gone to computer labs on campus with my laptop (mind you im admin in these labs) hooked it up, shared the drive, and i was able to use 15-20 computers. The host computer runs XP pro, altho admittedly the labs run windows 2000. But i never got any errors due to too many uses logged in to the laptop.

EDIT: btw i forgot, i used lightnet for this

Jeffers
02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Ok, I think all you have to do is navigate to this location in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

and then edit the 'users' decimal value to say 50 for 50 connections or 100 for 100 connections etc.

mtvedten
02-13-2004, 05:58 AM
In reply to:

Originally posted by lots
what version of xp are you using?

i've never had that problem. I've gone to computer labs on campus with my laptop (mind you im admin in these labs) hooked it up, shared the drive, and i was able to use 15-20 computers. The host computer runs XP pro, altho admittedly the labs run windows 2000. But i never got any errors due to too many uses logged in to the laptop.

EDIT: btw i forgot, i used lightnet for this

The reason it sometimes work is that if each frame takes long enogh to render the connection to the PC is dropped, allowing another PC to get access.

I use Spider (http://www.stationx.com/) as a render-control for scremer net. I then often see that when I first start a render with a bit more that 10 nodes they fail due to the network limit. But after a while the PC get out of synch with eachotherm because some are slower. That way only a few computers access the shared folder at a same time. Spider will then retry to render the first frames.

I often distirbute the renders-folders and source folders on different computers. For instance us and old PC that to slow to use for render to hold one image-sequence, and another to output rederd imgages. But generally i keep my content on a Windows 2000 server, if its not too big.

Morten

digimassa
02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Jeff Dillon
Ok, I think all you have to do is navigate to this location in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

and then edit the 'users' decimal value to say 50 for 50 connections or 100 for 100 connections etc.

dont find this 'users' decimal value on XP pro and Win2k?

Jeffers
02-13-2004, 08:58 AM
If it is not there, create it!

In the list of parameters, right click and select 'new' DWORD and call it 'Users'. Then give it a decimal value of the number of connections you want.

This worked for me in XP but i'm not sure about 2000.

Lightwolf
02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Another option would be to throw together a cheapo linux box as an SMB/Samba file server. No limits there :)
Cheers,
Mike