PDA

View Full Version : 3D worth it???

JesseJames
02-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Well. I've been thinking really hard lately about if it's worth sticking with 3D.
I mean, it's hard enough as it is to get a job in the industry. But now I hear that studios may outsource work to India along with all the IT jobs that went over there.
(Shaking my head)
I've been told that my work is good and that I have tremendous potential but I don't know. I'm not making a living as a CG artist. It's pretty much a hobby right now. Showing anyone interested. Mostly I just get a "Wow, that's nice.".

I'm thinking about pursuing another avenue right now and abandon art altogether.
Art just isn't paying off considering the ratio of time and money put into it and I want to make a decent living.
I guess they didn't make up the term 'Starving Artist' for nothing.

Cobalt
02-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Dude,

Do stop now! The ability to communicate well through visual media has great value in the corporate / industrial sector. Seek to be well rounded in all the tools of the trade (Lightwave, Photoshop, Flash, Director, Freehand, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Sound Forge) and know how to bring them together to produce product.

Combine college education, artistic talent, and good communication skills and someone will hire you becuase they know you will be able to tell their story well.

Endeaver to persevere.

Mylenium
02-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Well, it still is worth it. Whether you can make a living from it or not largely depends on your skills and your willingness not to be focused too much on one part of the business. There are plenty of jobs but most of them in rather small companies that need generalists. You should not fall for the misconception that everybody works like ILM or other big companies where one guy is only doing HUlk's hair...

On to another matter. From my point of view I'd say the people talking about outsourcing stuff to India have no understanding of certain needs. Unlike neutral code for programs, visuals and sounds used in the media are largely influenced and dependent by the historical and cultural development of a people. Yes, even Indians could learn to do such stuff without it looking like Bollywood, but the lack of intuitive recognition for the needs of the respective costumers from other parts of the world would still be recognizable.

Mylenium

mindseye
02-05-2004, 08:55 AM
yeah.... keep going.

I've been at it for 10 years now and I now have a nice (not money bags) income and a stable business. My wife is able to stay home with our kids and we own a house. This might not be enough for some... but it's a living... and I love my work. How many people can say that?? I found a niche to build my business... I do architectural vis. 10 years ago it was a hard sell.
Now it's stable and growing and we're able to expand out into other areas, TV, Color Correction, interactive DVD's, etc. So my advise would be find an area that might provide you an income and once it's going you can expand out to other things that might be more enjoyable for you. Another option would be to work a day job and build a business in the evenings. I did that for about 6 months until I had close to enough work to jump. Anyway
kick it around somemore before you give it up.

Best of luck to ya,

cresshead
02-05-2004, 06:36 PM
have you seen the sinbad CGI straight to video movie that was made in india..it had the guy from "the mummy" as the main actor voice and spock from star trekl for the eveil character so there was some vocal talent in there but the animation was horrible....not disgusting but no way near as "GOOD" as Xcalibur which i think is not verey good anyway...yu get my drift!

don't worry they have a few 10's of years to catch up with the west...i'd be more worried about china and tiwan for animation than india right now.

lede
02-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Hmm it seems there is some really good advice here.

Any kind of work you do will require some experience and education, be it college or on your own learning. Jumping ship for a faster carrer might sound easier but remember the sea weed is always better in some one else's lake...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've played with Lightwave for almost ten years and have never gotten a paid job from it yet. For me I look at it as something I can do and enjoy. A little of R&R. If you really enjoy creating art then stick with it. If you look at it as another job take a break. I did for 3 years and now I'm back and really enjoying every minute working with LW. I've learned more in the past four month than I had ever learned before.

Really I hope you stick with it.

-Lede

Hervé
02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
.....or do Like me, basically, I had a really hard time doing LW because of country regulations, people from this forum know me and my work....( I give myself a "C+":D), so I finally gave up the pro way, but I am not a loser, sorry !! Now I work with LW just for pleasure, no deadlines, no hassle, no problems, really cool !

Enjoy LW , be it for money or just for fun...!

.... and believe me or not , since then, I did a small logo for .... well no money, but a super nice meal in a really nice restaurant....

Money is not the only goal.... for us LW'ers, if Money was my goal, I'd be a broker, or SE trader....

Whatever you decide, keep LW, you never know 8:D

meshmaster
02-06-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm thinking about pursuing another avenue right now and abandon art altogether.
Look at it this way - you could go to college another few more years, get a CPA or Lawyer job, and be making lots of money.... then you'll get stressed out with life, have a mid-life crisis and die from unhappiness that causes a cardiac attack... OR you could just fumble through life barely making ends meet as an artist, being fully happy with life, knowing that money is NOT all that life is about...

Besides that, how many accounting records from the 1200s-1300s do you see? There are some, but not nearly as many as the amount of artworks and architecture that you see... poor bums who painted something on frescos on a church wall back then get recognized, and have gained immortality in the history of mankind... the lawyer that they may have had or the financers that helped pay for that stuff don't get recognized nearly as much as being an important contributor to mankind's history...

CB_3D
02-06-2004, 08:48 AM
There´s always a market for welldone clean 3d graphics. Architectural, Tv, training, whatever. I always have something (commercial) to do... maybe most of the jobs are less glorious than the doing the mainmonster on the next blockbuster, but hey, that´s life.;)

mkiii
02-06-2004, 08:50 AM
...or look for a job in the games industry.... They'll have anyone.

after all, they took me ;)

CoryC
02-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by mkiii
after all, they took me ;)

If memory serves me right, you have been a pretty killer modeler for a long time. That might have something to do with it?

Hervé
02-07-2004, 02:07 AM
off course, there is always a good reason if you geta job in the industry of 3D