PDA

View Full Version : Best drivers for geforce dual monitor cards.

meatycheesyboy
02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Has anyone found decent drivers that run most anything with no problems? Right now I'm running the 40.41 drivers but they won't allow me to play some games (Warcraft 3 specifically). I've tried some newer drivers like the 40.72 and the 41.09 but they both give me problems with LW and other apps (Floating menus don't float where they're supposed to, e.g. - when you right click the hub icon on the taskbar, the menu pops up in the middle of the screen or when you press the file button in layout, the menu is in the middle of the screen).

So, has anyone found any drivers that seem to work well with everything or does anyone know of a fix to my floating menu problem with the newest drivers?

-Joshua Jorgensen
http://www.jjorg.com/

Skonk
02-10-2003, 11:52 AM
hmm, im using 41.09 and i havn't had any problems at all. Iv also installed my card as a quadro dcc by running a script on the 41.09 drivers with rivatuner and again no probs at all. That said i havn't used them with dual monitors other then having it display on a tv + monitor which isn't really the same thing.

James..

DaveW
02-12-2003, 04:36 AM
I'm using 41.09 drivers and until a few minutes ago I had the same problems you described, menus popping up in the wrong place, occasionally windows would stretch across both monitors even though I disabled that, and sometimes when I opened a new panel the OpenGL would go crazy for a few seconds. I fixed it by switching my card from one huge desktop split across two monitors to the dualview setting, which makes the card look like two seperate video cards instead of one. It was a bit of a pain since it required two reboots (one to change the mode, the other to install dualview drivers) and I had to fix a few settings that got messed up in the process, enable OpenGL on multiple monitors, ect, but now everything works great.

meatycheesyboy
02-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Hey DaveW,

I tried using dualview as you suggested and although it fixes the problem with the menus floating and it allows me to play games as well since I can use the latest drivers, it also introduces some new problems for me. I like to have modeler open on one monitor with all the palettes (image editor, surface editor, layers, numeric, etc.) open on the other monitor. Using dualview the palettes return to one monitor everytime I start modeler so I have to spend an extra 5-10 minutes setting things up everytime. Irs strange, Photoshop remembers where everything goes in either dualview mode or the single desktop mode but Lightwave only remembers in the single desktop mode. The second problem I have with dual view is that the video overlay doesn't work on the second desktop. So, if I wanted to watch an animation or do some video editing on the second monitor, I can't. So, I guess unless you know solution to these two problems, I'll just stick to 40.41 and not play certain games.

DaveW
02-12-2003, 09:22 PM
I can play video fine on both monitors, only DVD's can't play on the second monitor. As for the LW panels, I think that is a LW thing as other apps don't have a problem remembering where windows belong.

CoryC
02-13-2003, 05:28 PM
When I first set up my machine (MSI Ti4600 4x 128Mg) , I had problems with Lightwave slowing down and video not playing in the second monitor. I switched to the Latest Nvidia drivers and almost all the problems with the second monitor went away. I did have problems with DVD not playing in the second monitor. I haven't tried with the DVD software lately but a free player called ZoomPlayer runs all video, including DVD from the second monitor. I don't know where the ZoomPlayer comes from originally but you can download it from the tutorial section at www.simplylightwave.com

Cory