PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating models in layout

MacDaddyKash
02-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Is it possible to manipulate the models points or polys in the layout? I have an assignment that requires an animation of a unrepresentational object and I figured I'd just play around with a simple ball messing it up and such. But I wouldn't have as much control over it as I would like unless I could manipulate the polys or points. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

-Dustin

02-05-2004, 03:42 AM
LW, for our convenience, separates the acts of modeling and animating, alowing us to keep our models unnafected by all the nasty things that can happen to them when they are animated (apart from deliberate texture changes that is).

There are 2 routes you could go down.

1) make some morph targets (versions of the model WITH NO POINTS OR POLYS ADDED OR DELETED OR CUT & REPASTED OR ANYTHING) but with individual points moved around. LW can then morph the origanal model to these shapes, in order if you like, but unfortunately individual oint will move in a straight line from one target to the next, so you dont get as smooth an effect as you might hope.

2) Animate your obect.
simplest animation is just moving, rotating, stretching.
More complex is using displacement maps which can move themselves in 3D space or which the object can move through.
More fun and a lot more use is to add bones to your object - whatever it is. You can then make it do almost anything. If you're not careful.

MacDaddyKash
02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your help. Now I have another problem. In modeler I subpatched my object and every endomorph. But in Layout it's not subpatched and doesn't look good. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

-Dustin

SamuraiSlayer
02-06-2004, 03:33 PM
the only thing i can think of at the moment is that your subpatch level is at 0 --

in layout, select your object and go to the "objects" tab and click on "subpatch level," then set the render and display at 3 (regular level) you can go higher for more smoothing, but it will take more render time

hope that helps, if it doesnt, just hollar!!!!

:)

MacDaddyKash
02-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I found it. The subdivion order in the object properties pannel had to be on "after". Don't ask how I found that out, it was pure luck. Thanks for your help anyways.

SamuraiSlayer
02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
one more thing about subpatches:

the model can appear real smooth in modeler but then in layout if the surfaces dont have smoothing turned on then it will not look smooth (rounded, just not smoothed)