PDA

View Full Version : scale particle emitter?

andromeda_girl
02-04-2004, 04:11 PM
can a particle emitter be scaled --without-- the scaling ruining the particles settings and appearance?

i find that any scale changes destroys the look of your particles, resulting in a ton of additional work to re- dothem.

~A.

02-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Scaling an emmiter changes the velocity of the particles and their separation, so any hypervoxel effect will clump a lot more of the particles together, and any motion blur effects will be halved.
Probably much better to alter your settings for the emmitter.
Dont forget you can save your particle movements as files, as well as therir outher attributes as presets.

andromeda_girl
02-05-2004, 10:49 AM
ok:
so if i am scaling down my emitter say 100%, then my velocity ought to be scaled down 100% as well?
ok...
i was hoping these settings would scalke along with the emitter's size...

sounds reasonable and worth a shot.
thanks.
~A.

02-05-2004, 11:16 AM
not that ,
The scale (i.e. size) of your particals has probably not changed, so if you were expecting, if you like, a 'scale model' of your original setup then don't change the speed - remember things will still take the same time to happen - but consider that the relative size of the effect around each particle needs correcting.
I have no idea what you mean by 'scaled by 100%', because that is no change. But if you had scaled you emmiter by 10% then the particles will be 10 times too big (I think).

Perhaps this is not really going to work, if you'r eusing any volumetric processing on these particals - think of the the number of size related variables in your settings.

andromeda_girl
02-05-2004, 11:55 AM
this is what i am talking about- scaling down the emitter- by a factor of 100x and still retaining the exact look of how the particles were before the scale down.

and again- i thought all the particle settings and perameters would scale down automatically when you do that, but they clearly do not.

the finished look of the particles goes whack when you scale your emitter.

this is what happened-
i spent a week getting my particles to look perfect and then after all that, a few days later i discovered that somewhere, somehow without realizing it, i had accidentally scaled up all my surrounding geometry, and so the emitter is like 100x too big.
so scaling down my geometry (the emitter parented to it) ruins the total look of the particles!

this is my problem. i have to resize the emitter, and keep the final look of the particles- it is a huge scale change too, so the effect is totally lost now- i tried dividing my perameters and settings of my particles by 100 and it didn't work.

02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
It's the settings of the plugin (hyperfoxels?) that's telling LW what the particals look like, rather than the settings of the particles themselves, that you will have to adjust.

andromeda_girl
02-05-2004, 12:10 PM
so when i scale my emitter doiwn, it's the hypervoxel settings i scale down as well then?

~A.

02-05-2004, 12:38 PM
I think so, both the partical size settings (and variation if its 'size' rather than '%') and the scale (which I seem to recall is given as size) and velocity of all textures.

In otherwords, anything thats given as % you can leave alone, but if it's measured in some sort of linear unit then scale it.

Youu're resizing everything to 1/00 ie 1% of its original size

Best of luck.
Dont forget to save the original as a preset !