PDA

View Full Version : What causes this slice?

Johnny
02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
the slice I'm getting here appears to the right of the faucet, and across the arc of the shadow cast by that faucet..

I've seen this sort of thing in a couple of other test renders I've done. My shadowmap settings are healthy: 2400 with a fuzz of 8...

That slice doesn't correspond to any geometry that I have in the scene; other times It's just below that soap dish..

any thoughts?

thanks,

Johnny
http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/slice.jpg

themaxx
02-04-2004, 11:46 AM
i don't know if this is the culprit, but have you tried upping the camera's segment memory limit so it can be rendered in a single block (if it isn't already)?

WCameron
02-04-2004, 12:01 PM
ot theres a 2 point poly line in the geometry of your wall maybe.

- Will.

Johnny
02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by themaxx
i don't know if this is the culprit, but have you tried upping the camera's segment memory limit so it can be rendered in a single block (if it isn't already)?

I can see exactly what you mean, as that little slice looks to be exactly at the halfway point...

I have my segmet at 512 MB, and when I render a still on the G5, it does it in one segment, but that same file during a ScreamerNet session will be done in 2 segments with the same settings!!

Just did an F9 render, and there is no slit or slice in that image...

Could this be a ScreamerNet flaw or error?

J

prospector
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Yea, it looks like the rendering segments are not accounting for the shadow the same in both sections as it is nowhere else on the seam.

Lewis
02-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I've read somewhere (on this forums) that you need to have Screamernet setuped 100% right to get this to work. IF only one part of screamernet isn't setuped right it takes DEFAULT 8MB segment to camera. This sure looks what's happening here 'coz you say it's not thing when you rende ron single machine wiht 1 pass. I bet when you set segment memory to 8MB that single machine will render it in 2 passes also :)?

Johnny
02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I did an experiment, lowering my Segment to 8MB and sure enough, hitting F9 does produce a render with that slice...

but I still don't understand why a ScreamerNet render will render in 2 passes with the Segment Memory set the same as a slice -free F9 render, in otherwords, say 512 MB or 1024MB will give me a 1-segment render when I hit F9.

Why won't a Segment of 1024 give me a 1-segment screamernet render?

I've tried eliminating objects from my scene because I thought I might be having a memory issue, but it makes no difference.

Seems SN *insists* on rendering in 2 passes!

J

themaxx
02-04-2004, 07:47 PM
i've never messed with screamer net, but if you're rendering on multiple machines doesn't it have to split it?

Johnny
02-04-2004, 07:55 PM
I couldn't say for sure, but my most recent tests have been only on my G5, because it gives me results fast..

J

Johnny
02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
And, for an additional complication, that same clip with the same settings will NOT show that slice when Radiosity is turned on!!

but then I get that nasty flicker!

I'm confused by this set of clues...

J

Lewis
02-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Johnny - I don't knwo WHY but liek i said someone said it's problem when setup for screamernet aren't fully OK the this will happen. Maybe to contact someone from NewTek ?

I remebered that 'coz back then i was messing my machines with screamernet attemts but i giveup pretty soon wheni saw what all i need to do (map L: drive and all other mumbo jumb and i only have two machines so it's not big thing for me 'coz anyway i always need one machine for somethind else and other is rendering ;)).

Be sure (double/tripleceheck) that ALL machines see config files and that all paths are exactly same. I'm not sure how it goes on MAC 'coz i use PC but i think that main prinicple is same ?

Does SPIDER network renderer works on MAC ? It's FREE and it renders for LW and Maya.