PDA

View Full Version : T2 to T3 Upgrade

lyallford
02-04-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm looking into upgrading from T2 to T3. I noticed that T3 requires 2.4 Ghz Xeon processors. Our machine has 1.7 Ghz dual Xeon processors. Does T3 require 2.4 Ghz total, or dual 2.4 Xeon processors?

tw video
02-04-2004, 08:36 AM
i am in the same boat (sort of). about to retro-fit my system to rock the new T3...going from a 1.8 P4 to dual xeon 2.8's. i believe it requires a 2.4 of some form. they prefer a xeon, but a P4 would cut it. i believe it is 2.4 total. duals give you a bit more power than a single chip. less strain on the chip. ive heard of the T3 on a amd system but it doesnt perform as well. dont know if anyone has tested it on a opteron or an itanium.

SBowie
02-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by tw video
i believe it requires a 2.4 of some form. they prefer a xeon, but a P4 would cut it. i believe it is 2.4 total. duals give you a bit more power than a single chip. less strain on the chip. I think you've got it right, but would change your wording to "duals give you a LOT more power than a single cpu..."

And I'd steer clear of AMD for a VT...

Scott Bates
02-04-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm running dual Xeon 1.7's with no problems on a SuperMicro P4DC6+.

RayLarson
02-04-2004, 11:47 AM
I am running dual 1.8's and the same Mobo and do have a problem with long render times when loading in a project and a longer wait than on T2 for the Green Light to come on. I was experiencing stuttering problems until I tweaked the settings. I am experiencing a weird firewire problem. If I leave my firewire connceted to my Panasonic 2000 deck the timeline will stutter badly. If I keep the firewire unplugged except for capturing everything is fine. Even Andrew Cross could figure it out....thinks it is the deck...oh well, I just work around it. I am considering Upgrading the Mobo and processors and upgrading to Windows XP professional. Just need to get some prices to get it done and the time to lay up the system. I want to be ready for T4 (lol)

Ivan
02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
I know a number of people using dual 1.7s with VT3 and no problems. When I started with VT3 Beta I was working on a single P4 1.7 with 512mb of memory. It worked but I really like the way the dual 3.02 system with 2Gb of memory works much better.

Ivan

Videolink
02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
the minumum requirement is RECOMMENDED at 2.4Ghz.
we know guys runnin at dual 2 but there are issues
we had a dual amd 1900 for T2 but it was NOT good enough for T3

With the power balance of software power versus hardware power, obviously the bigger the better.

Xeons are nice and solid and reliable, especially in dual config, however, only 533 bus.

now we have (800 Mhz bus) hyperthread P4s at 2.4, 2.6, 2,8 and 3Ghz, the computer will see it as two processors (dual processing for the cost of single)Great for the VT systems,

we recomend a 2.8 (good price point)
but make sure you get the 800Mhz version not the 533
and make sure your motherboard supports it as well.

Im with Steve on the 'would not recommend AMDs',
(unless your using Opterons)(or you're a gamer, lol)

Jim_C
02-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Videolink
the minumum requirement is RECOMMENDED at 2.4Ghz.
we know guys runnin at dual 2 but there are issues
\

I run on a dual 1.8 and a dual 2.0, neither of which offer any problems. Plenty fast, short waits for green lights on complex projects.
Your dual 1.7 will work fine.

SBowie
02-04-2004, 04:50 PM
While faster is better, of course, there's certainly no reason a dual Xeon, old or new, should deliver disappointing performance. If it is, there's probably something wrong. For a new unit, anything above 2.4 is great, and 2.8's continue to be very good value. There are also several interesting 800FSB single P4's that do a very creditable job, but every individual's needs (and budget) vary.

Unless money is of no consequence, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. I've got one client with three of them, all very different according to need. Find a dealer who will spend the time to work through all the details with you, answer all the questions, can supply a list of happy customers, and is generous with their time after the sale and you'll do well.

robewil
02-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Actually, I run VT[3] on a P4 1.6 Ghz and it's totally suitable.

SBowie
02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Exactly -- faster is nice, even essential for some settings, but I know guys (hobbyists, maybe) who started out with something I would never recommend, and are still very pleased.