PDA

View Full Version : animating water

icdeadmonks
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Could someone please tell me how you can animate water in lightwave? I thought if you set a null as a reference object in the texture displacement it would make the water move, but that doesn't seem to be working.

prospector
02-04-2004, 12:01 AM
How do you want your water animated?

Texture?
Bump?

Texture..go to surface panel and under the 'T' grab a water preset
from the preset panel.
If you need a river then I just mentioned this on another water thread.

Bump.. go to surfaces panel and under the 'T' at the bump setting make a procedrual and under the listing get the one of the smoky or water and use that.. Play with the settings for size

That will give you a place to start.
then play with the specular and reflection to get the exact surface you want.

shermanlu
02-04-2004, 12:15 AM
I've done this kind of suff to show my students... take a look into the scene file... you'll know how it works!!!

hope this helps...

shermanlu
02-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Setup files' here...

Unzip it to see the details... have fun!!!

shermanlu
02-04-2004, 06:02 AM
here's a render preview...

pixym
02-05-2004, 07:41 AM
I have made this one

koots
02-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Shermanlu, that is great, How long did that take to render each frame? And is there any way to get that water into a stream or something like that.... i just can't beleive you did such a nice job!!!! Keep up the great work!!!
-jonn

shermanlu
02-06-2004, 02:04 AM
well... each frame approximately takes 9min30sec. to render in D-1 resolution, medium-AA, Shadow,all of Relection, Refrection, transparency rendering turned on, i've even turn on the caustics lighting effect for the water reflection...and my PC is running on P4 dual 1GHZ CPU, 1G of RAM.

Sure... you can make the water into a stream...simply make a stream model then apply the same setting to it. You might wanna add some bones or morph to curve your stream as well...

BTW, this simple pool project has only took me 20 minutes from modeling the objects to texturing surfaces & adjusting water effects. Even I'm impressed by Lightwave's efficiency...:D

themaxx
02-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by shermanlu
I've done this kind of suff to show my students... take a look into the scene file... you'll know how it works!!!

hope this helps...

wow. thanks man. i've never attempted water in LW. this sample scene is a great demonstration.

for those (like myself) who aren't experts at this stuff, can you explain the role of the ripple null?

thanks!

shermanlu
02-06-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by themaxx
wow. thanks man. i've never attempted water in LW. this sample scene is a great demonstration.

for those (like myself) who aren't experts at this stuff, can you explain the role of the ripple null?

thanks!

The ripple null object is a reference object for moving the displacement map. If you look into the scene that i've provided, you can take a look at the water object's displacement map setting...I've added 2 kind of procedural textures in it. On top is a self-animated procedural texture..."Ripples2". This one can move by itself, so you don't have to move it at all. on the other hand, the second on is a still procedural texture named "Turbulance". Because this kind of texture won't move by its own... therefore, the reference object will takes place in order to move this texture.:)

koots
02-06-2004, 12:08 PM
i am depressed that it only took u 9 min, i just bought a AMD comp it is a 2800, and it took 22min:( i have 512 ram..... man that is depressing........ i need to examine your scene. it would take me a day to set something up like that, and it wouldn't even look as cool:(... anyway Kick @ss work!!!!!!!! I guess back to the drawing board.... and if there are any points you would like to shar i would love to listen...
-jonn

shermanlu
02-06-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't use AMD...sorry!!!
If I recall correctly, LightWave had been optimized for P4 CPU...maybe that's the reason whay it took you longer time to render on your AMD...:p

In fact, I'm using Lightwave on my P3-550MHz too. It works really smooth for me... so, my suggestions to you are...

1.NEVER...Never render in final resolution while you're setting up your texture, effects...etc. Imagine that... it will take you 20mins to see the outcome just once...so, you won't get the result that you want in your life time...:D

2.Use VIPER for your animated texture preview... even though the VIPER won't show every thing of your final render, it's the fast way to let you get the sense of what you've adjusted.

3. turned off every thing that is no need to check in the tweaking process, for instance, while you're tweaking on ripple movement, you don't need to have shadow, reflection, transparency render checked... you can turn off AA too and render in 320X240... this definitely will speed you up.

hope this help...:)

shermanlu
02-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by koots
i am depressed that it only took u 9 min, i just bought a AMD comp it is a 2800, and it took 22min:( i have 512 ram..... man that is depressing........ i need to examine your scene. it would take me a day to set something up like that, and it wouldn't even look as cool:(... anyway Kick @ss work!!!!!!!! I guess back to the drawing board.... and if there are any points you would like to shar i would love to listen...
-jonn

oh... it's my mistake... I didn't check the spec. of the machine after I've done the preview... the one I used is sitting between two dual 1Ghz comp... the one I tested on is Dual 1.7Ghz Xeon...:p

riki
02-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Looks great animated shermanlu. Any suggestions on adding ripples from rain drops.

js33
02-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by shermanlu
oh... it's my mistake... I didn't check the spec. of the machine after I've done the preview... the one I used is sitting between two dual 1Ghz comp... the one I tested on is Dual 1.7Ghz Xeon...:p

Yeah I thought something was a little off in the times and specs mentioned earlier. I downloaded the scene and rendered out the first frame and it took 17 mintues on a single 2.53 Ghz P4 so a dual 1.7 Ghz sounds better than a dual 1 Ghz. :D

Cheers,
JS