PDA

View Full Version : Need info :)

Setups
03-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Welp thought i should post
Ive been taking lightwave as a "filler" basicly in school, we started 2 weeks ago and im in love :)
I havent been able to close modeler since 2 weeks ago monday lol but i have a couple worries.

I would love to make a career out of this, im a creative person, this just seems perfect to me, but my teacher tells me i wont be able to get into a good training centre without an eye exam, which isnt good because i am partly colorblind :(

Ill post a pic of a project i finished today (dont know how to texture yet sorry)

And i wouldnt mind feedback on what i should do (career wise)

Thanks in advance

-Chris

broderick
03-11-2003, 09:47 PM
If you love to do it DO IT. Don't listen to people who always have an excuse as to why you can't succeed.

Many people in this industry are modelers and don't deal with color. In fact, in the bigger houses; modeling, texturing and animation are devided amongst different people.

If you have the drive and disapline you will succeed.

Richard

Setups
03-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks man :) Thats all I needed to hear.

-Chris

DragonAngel
03-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey Man, my father is partly colour-blind too. He doesn't see red, in other words he sees blue for everything that is purple and some green are white for him.

He is a great artist, although this is not his career.

As an example, I believe it was Beethoven that became deaf!!!

I don't know where this teacher of yours is taking his bull... but I never heard any school, or training centre that give you an eye exam.

That's call discrimination without representation!!!! Hehehe, what part of the world are you from anyway? I teach 2D drawing and soon 3D at college level here in Montreal, Canada.

Randog
03-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey Chris,

Don't let the color blind thing get in your way. I am very color and have done quite well for myself. I recently worked on Star Trek: Nemesis and did modeling, texturing, lighting and plate matching (I did all the shots that involved the Argo shuttle). There are ways to overcome color blindness - I use an application called "What Color" which enables me to pick anything on my screen and extract the rgb value of it. Approach color in an analytical fashion and you will do fine. I do however concentrate on modeling.

As far as a career goes. Well, I would go for it! However, I would HIGHLY suggest pursuing a alternate career as well. I would look at programming. You can work programming in to this career as well, and if things go flat you have a back up.

I learned Lightwave at the school of "bust your ***", as did a majority of everyone I know. I purchased books, a few videos and magazines. The biggest commitment was my time. I was working full time, my wife was working nights. I came home, said goodbye to her, put my son to bed at 8:00 and then worked until god knows how late and then got up at 5:00 to start it all over again. It's dedication. Plain and simple. You could go to a thousand different schools and still be a crappy artist.

Develop your artistic skills as well and learning the programs. Lightwave is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like anything else be it XSI, Maya, whatever. Choose what kind of modeling (if that is what you want to do) you want to do and then do crap load of research about it.

Let me know how you are doing -

Good luck and stay with it.

Randy Sharp

dddMan
03-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Never give up, Setups ! ;)

hrgiger
03-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Color is overrated anyway, Settups.

Some of the best stuff I've seen has been in black and white.

Setups
03-15-2003, 02:54 PM
/overwhelmed :P

DragonAngel: I'd love to get ahold of you :)

Randog: I'd like to focus on modelling also, but i dont know about
programming, im not good with code, code is the enemy :P
Also i have been drawing most of my life, id say im alright, i contacted a training centre in vancouver and they told me to take a life drawings course which i plan on doing in the summer (august maybe)

Thanks all for posting :) sorry for the late return.

-Chris

Setups
03-16-2003, 11:32 PM
ACK! It appears my email isnt working so i decided to get a yahoo account :(
I dont know if any of you tried to contact me but if you did then you can reach me (again) at [email protected]

Damn provider :P

-Chris

DragonAngel
03-17-2003, 10:52 AM
If you want a good book about life drawing, I suggest the "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" book. I found it the best investment I ever made all my life. It changed my perspective on everything, actually it gave me an alternative on seeing everything in the world around us.

I warn you, its not an artsy type book that shows you tricks on how to draw certain textures or effects, its about learning how the brain draws and why it draws, but it also shows you how to draw the right way. Using your RIGHT BRAIN!

Once you learn the basics in this book, you will learned that anything can be learned.

P.S. Its in black & white so it won't cause you problems.

Setups
03-17-2003, 06:56 PM
DragonAngel pls email me at [email protected]
I need to talk to ya :)