PDA

View Full Version : Export to 3DS problem

aso3
02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I've created a ordinary terrain model in Modeler 7 but I can't export it to 3DS! The program crashes right away when I hit the export function. Strange, because normally it always worked. I triangulated the object removed 1/2 point stuff and there's nothing specials else (I think). There are 6 bitmap textures used, each with a UV-map, maybe there lies a problem?? I tried a simple scene with a textured cube but then it just works. What could be wrong with my scene? It works allright as a LWO object but I can't export it:confused:
specs:
Modeler 7
3200 polygons (tripled and sub-divided)
6 512*512*256 bitmap textures, smoothed
for each texture a UV-map, those maps contain pretty many polygons

Greetings,
Rick

UnCommonGrafx
02-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Get rid of the textures and it'll work. Specifically, the bitmaps.

aso3
02-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Well, I removed the textures and brought everything to the default material. Now it works, thanks for that!

But the problem is, I need those textures! Well, I need the texture coordinates and the texture link (texture name) to be stored in that 3DS file. So removing everything is not an option (I think). Deleting the bitmaps only wasn't enough I needed to set everything to the default material as well. But the strangest thing is that using textures in a 3ds export is possible after all. I added some of the textures again for a test, now it exported without crashing... There's some bug in my model but I can't figure out what.

Greetings and thanks for helping!
Rick

mkiii
02-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I *never* had any problems exporting 3ds files with surfaces applied, uv mapping, texture maps, etc. and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem with it either.

Having surface settings & textures isn't your problem, unless there is a bug that I didn't notice in V7.0

I just tried to make my copy crash by uv mapping around 7 surfaces, each with their own largish bitmaps, BMP, JPG, IFF, and even added a few surface shaders to try & complicate matters, but no crash. Maybe you should post a link to a zip of your file & textures so we can test it.

PS Why haven't you upgraded to 7.5 btw? It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that you're hitting an old bug. I remember that 6.0 was a bit iffy with regard to 3ds export.

UnCommonGrafx
02-04-2004, 06:31 PM
It's one of those "certain circumstances" things. I never cared to find those circumstances. ;) Perhaps your example will spur him on to try it again.

mkiii
02-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Yeah. There's no accounting for finger trouble or the fact that someone might be running a dozen apps in the background, modelling, running a virus checker, doing a disc defrag, cutting a CD, while running Call of Duty, all on their PII 350 with 128mb RAM :)

cwarden
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Anyone have a solution for this problem?

I'm using 7.5 and I'm having the same problems.

When I strip my 16k model down of all it UV maps and textures it will export. I can also export simple objects with a UV map. My large object is only 3 point polys, not subpatched, no morphs and in one layer.

mattclary
03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mkiii
PS Why haven't you upgraded to 7.5 btw?

LOL! ;)

lw_werewolf
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
to export in 3ds, you must check that :
- triple all poly, 3ds is only triangle format
- use only name with 8 char
- for surface use name with only 8 char (3ds born under dos)

and if you can't export ,try exporter of Dstorm, better and with more options than newtek origianl 3ds exporter

cwarden
03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by lw_werewolf
to export in 3ds, you must check that :
- triple all poly, 3ds is only triangle format
- use only name with 8 char
- for surface use name with only 8 char (3ds born under dos)

and if you can't export ,try exporter of Dstorm, better and with more options than newtek origianl 3ds exporter

thanks
it was the character length of the surface names
I'm a mac guy who has never had to think about such things
I appreciate the help

mkiii
03-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Hmm - you didn't mention that you were using the Mac version.:rolleyes:

One thing people should bear in mind is that a .3ds file has a size limit. You can't convert any old thing into that format.

3ds limits are 65k points *OR* polys - so for example an unwelded model consisting of 21,000 triangles is going to be right on that limit with 3 points for each triangle.

As I said previously, I have not encountered any severe problems exporting with multiple uv maps, or textures.

Have either of you loaded any non standard plugins recently? Have you had any other problems? Is your 3ds plugin the correct one - ie dated the same as all your other plugins?

BTW - the PC LW 3ds exporter *does* keep surface names longer than 8 characters, and those names import into 3dsMax ok.

very old apps might have problems with non dos 8.3 filenames, but the 3ds exporter plugin isn't one of those.