PDA

View Full Version : T-T-T-Too much time on my hands

creach
02-03-2004, 12:46 PM
We have dual displays, and after a year I'm tired of seeing all the cool VT splash screens "break" across the two monitors. How can I tell Toaster to show it's splash in the center of one of the monitors?

Thanks!
Dan

Faraz
02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't think you can change what screen the splash scren shows up on. But it'd be nice if there was a way.

creach
02-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Mostly I'd just wanna see that darned elusive alien in one piece! :-)

Oh, well.

Dan

videoguy
02-03-2004, 03:14 PM
this is sorta OT but Faraz how have you been we havent heard much from you around here lately have you been cooking up some DVEs or something for us. Are gonna go to NAB?

SBowie
02-03-2004, 03:50 PM
The nVidia Desktop Manager will do this, but many have had other issues with it (in certain versions at least.)

bbeanan
02-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Why don't you use the Dual Monitor backgrounds? Right click on the desktop and select one. You can also use these as your windows desktop as well.

UnCommonGrafx
02-04-2004, 07:18 AM
I'd say: be brave and open the skin in Aura;
Begin to paint!

creach
02-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Steve: Our most excellent dealer (Hiya, Darwin!) warned us about using the Nvidia desktop doodad.

Robert: whaddya mean? Open the skin? This is the VT splash...it's not even a skin yet. Or am I like, *totally* misunderstanding, dude?

bbeanan: We *are* using the dual desktop backgrounds.

Dan

SBowie
02-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by creach
Steve: Our most excellent dealer (Hiya, Darwin!) warned us about using the Nvidia desktop doodad. I love competent dealers :)

I've actually seldom run into problems with the DT Manager, but it has been a common complaint. I think there are evil and benign versions ;)

bbeanan
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Oh the splash screen... I think I remember Paul L. saying there was a way to fixt this with some offset??? Maybe you could find the file that is the art fot the splash screen and add blank space to one side or the oterh so that it is still centering the image across both screens but since you added blank space to one side it would push it to one monitor????

creach
02-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Good idea, Brett. Perhaps one day when brave I feel will pixel splash surgery I perform!

Hey, Steve. Is it readily predictable which one are good and which ones bad?

Dan

SBowie
02-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I think so - at least for an established dealer. Talk to customers of several when possible, find out who has jumped ship and will never return to "Joe Blow" again, who is delighted with their dealer, the product as shipped, and the after-sale support.

creach
02-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I was talking about the Nvidia thing. <tee hee>

We have already had a VERY NIGHTMARISH experience with a dealer that my hysterical amnesia will not let me name...that's why I was so quick to mention my hero, Darwin, in Boise.

Dan :D

SBowie
02-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by creach - I was talking about the Nvidia thing. <tee hee> Oops! ;)

Well, on drivers, who can say. I've seldom run into an issue with the DT Mgr. on my systems, but many have and it seems the first thing to check when gui problems arise. On my current demo unit, I just noticed yesterday that it was on (ok, who did that?) and switched it off on principle ... but it wasn't misbehaving at all. I wouldn't even have noticed except I was doing some screenshots of the driver controls for documentation to accompany a system going out.

Originally posted by creach - We have already had a VERY NIGHTMARISH experience with a dealer that my hysterical amnesia will not let me name...that's why I was so quick to mention my hero, Darwin, in Boise.:D I'm all for local heroes. Most are great, a few are 'box sellers' and 'cheque cashers.' You can usually tell the difference by the length of a conversatrion they're willing to have with you after your cheque clears - but by then it's too late.

There are clearly some great dealers (and dealer staff people) represented here, and it's good of you to blow that horn! :)