PDA

View Full Version : Huge hires render file, impossible?

CBZ
02-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Why I can't make huge hires files with Lightwave?

The scene can't be more simpler. One plane floor, one chair, one spot light, one camera, absolutely no textures, only two colors materials but the situation is I need 12000 x 9000 render resolution file. When I try to do the render Lightwave displays the following message: “Not enough memory for frame buffers”.

Scene Statistics:

Objects: 2
Polygons: 45
Object Memory: 4 K
Bones: 0
Lights: 1
Cameras: 1
Surfaces: 2
Render memory: 1982.9 M
Free memory: 1341.7 M + 3226.6 M (page file)

Why I can’t do the render? Who can I do it?

Aegis
02-03-2004, 01:12 PM
You need to reduce your "segment memory limit" (under camera properties) until it'll render - try reducing it to 1mb and seeing if that works. Also, turn of the Image Viewer and render straight to a file. Turning off "Show rendering in progress" is probably a good idea too...

CBZ
02-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Aegis
You need to reduce your "segment memory limit" (under camera properties) until it'll render - try reducing it to 1mb and seeing if that works. Also, turn of the Image Viewer and render straight to a file. Turning off "Show rendering in progress" is probably a good idea too...

I don't use Image viewer and always render straight to a file and never have "show rendering in progress".

I limit segment memory to 1mb and still don't render. Also I try to do screamernet II render but still don't render a thing, same message: not enough memory.

any more ideas? How do I increase memory? my computer has plenty of space and plenty of memory available.

Why doesn't Lightwave swap to the hard disk-page file?

Aegis
02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
LightWave seems to have to hold the entire rendered image in memory - if there's not enough RAM then it just won't work - you can reduce segment memory right down to 0.1mb in order to maximize your image buffer. You might want to try using limited region to split the image into pieces too.

riki
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Try Respower, you can segment the image and render out on 40 machines at once. Then preview each segment as they come through.

re: http://www.respower.com

ingo
02-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Aegis
....You might want to try using limited region to split the image into pieces too.

Sadly Limited Region doesn't help, it try's to load the complete image too. So no chance for that, Lightwave is not really usable for high resolution renderings. I've always tried to go down until it works and scale it up later, or use Electric Image Universe, that renders without problems in high resolutions, if you need it more often.

mkiii
02-04-2004, 03:17 AM
You could try SplitRender. Look for it on www.flay.com