PDA

View Full Version : Lightgen into Lightwave

badllarma
02-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Ok I've just had a play at my first use of this plugin captured my image via a globe into HDR Shop then into lightgen then into lightwave, but I have a question to more experienced users of this method.

The lights created by lightgen suround my scene 360 degrees in fact rather than where they were on the orginal image E.g. the roof! and also they are very dark compaire to the images captured Is it something to do with the "Scale of Total light intensity" or "Desired total light intensity" with regards the darkness of the lights?
I thought the whole idea of this method is to match the lighting of the orginal location as close as possible? Also why do they surround the target null around 360 degrees when the orginal image just had lights in the roof only?

any ideas?
Whats it for? well i'm adding a CG character into a real world building and though this method may be ideal for the job, if any one was wondering that is:)

Roundpixel
02-03-2004, 04:07 AM
For the lights surrounding the null, i think it just doesn´t matter, as the resulting lights should be distant, and only color, intensity and direction matter (not position).

As in regards to those being darker, yes, it could be related to what you say. Just try higher intensities, or play with ambient intensity.

JC

Maxx
02-03-2004, 04:52 AM
The lights on the bottom are there to simluate the color splash you'd get from radiosity. They should have no shadow casting options turned on. The light intensity should brighten up the image nicely - I can't remember what multiplier I've used (been a whiole since I've played with this), but a little tweaking should get things to work out nicely. Also, don't forget to have AutoKey on when you run lightgen2lw - otherwise all the lights will drop to 0,0,0 as soon as you move something else.

badllarma
02-03-2004, 08:00 AM
cheers for the info I'll give things another go , yup I'd read about the Auto Key trick on another group so that not problem thanks for the tip for "They should have no shadow casting options turned on."
I'll give things another go thanks for the helpful advice:)

Mattoo
02-04-2004, 02:05 PM
"They should have no shadow casting options turned on."

What the...?!?! that's bonkers, you'll get light shooting through the under side of your character and giving a weird flashlight under the chin effect!

All the lights should have shadow casting on. And because the spacing of the lights is quite large I actually make them shadowmapped with quite a bit of fuzzyness.

"One Touch Lights Editor" is invaluable for using Lightgen - being able to globally change all the lights in one go is a must.

Maxx
02-04-2004, 03:00 PM
The lights at the bottom aren't powerful enough to actually cause a flashlight under the chin effect. (This could be something I went through and hand tweaked, in which case - sorry about handing out misleading advice.) It's more of a faked radiosity effect - you get just a bit of color bleed without the shadows. Kind of ambient. Or at least that's how I set it up... Could be entirely wrong, in which case I'll feel kinda like an idiot.

At any rate, One Touch Light Editor is awesome for working with lightgen.