PDA

View Full Version : I deleted a folder and can't get it back!

ted
03-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Twice today I deleted a file and the wrong one got deleted??? Once I was able to recover it from the trash bin, the next time it was an important folder and before I realized I took out the wrong one, I emptied the trash. I couldn't find it under Norton protected files either.

I thought maybe it was me the first time, but now I don't know, and I really need that folder!!!

Any help would be appreciated.
No the undo stack won't do it as it was another computer.

I havenít saved anything else, but we did shut down the computer.

Paul Lara
03-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ted
before I realized I took out the wrong one, I emptied the trash.

It's not much help for your current file, Ted, but if you do this often, you may want to consider purchasing Executive Software's Undelete 3.0 (http://consumer.execsoft.com/undelete/undelete.asp?RId=1)

ted
03-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks a ton Paul, I'll give it a try in the morning.

mgrusin
03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Was this on your system drive or a video drive?

If it was on a system drive, you probably know this, but DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING (like undelete utilities) on the hard drive with the deleted file. It may overwrite the information you want to recover. Instead, install the software on another machine, and move the affected hard drive to the other machine as a slave drive. Then you should hopefully be able to undelete your file(s) and move the hard drive back to your old machine.

If it was on your video drive(s), you should be able to install undelete software on the system drive without affecting the video drives, but be careful... (ugh, I don't know how you'd move a RAID to another machine...)

That reminds me - I should go out and buy some undelete software for NTFS (thanks Paul ;)).

Good luck! -MG

ted
03-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks to Paul, I installed the undelete software on my system drive. I've got SEVEN drives on that computer and the lost data was on Dirve "O".

I used the software and found deleted files from as far back as 1997, but not the recently deleted folder???

Oh well, I just gotta be more carefull before I delete the trash. I'm still not sure why the wrong file went to the trash twice that day???