PDA

View Full Version : Ordering LW8 Update; Serial number?

Carm3D
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I am ready to order the Lightwave 8 upgrade (Yipee!). I went to order it on NewTek's site, but the serial number I have is more digits than the field will allow. Are they only interested in a specific portion of the serial number?

Related question; Do I need to have the USB Dongle to use DFX+? I have the old Parallel dongle. I hope the solution isn't to send it in.. I couldn't go without using LW for a few days.

Thanks!

hrgiger
02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
They'll send out a new dongle first but they expect you to ship your old one back right away. I didn't have mine but 4 days and they were already calling my house looking for the old one. And I believe DFX only works with the USB dongle.
Are you sure it's your serial number you're trying to put in and not your license key? You should find your serial number on your lightwave box. or maybe even your dongle.

CoryC
02-02-2004, 10:49 PM
The parallel dongle works fine with DFX+.

The Lightwave Serial number should be 10 digits (mine is anyhow) and then your license key number should be longer and divided, like a credit card number.

Carm3D
02-03-2004, 10:55 AM
HRGiger,

I just ordered my LW8 upgrade (wee!)

They weren't so trusting with me on the dongle issue.

I'm gonna have to pay a $200 deposit. Then they'll send me a new dongle, and when I send in the old dongle I will get the $200 back.

I won't be able to afford the $200 deposit for another week or two, so I won't be able to enjoy DFX+ until then. :(

Bummer.

CoryC
02-03-2004, 11:02 AM
I use DFX+ all the time with the LW parallel dongle so I wouldn't worry about switching dongles if that is the only reason. If you are going to switch the dongle between machines though, I would go for the USB. I have had a couple parallel dongles go bad but my USB one has been swaped in and out of my laptop hundreds of times without incident.

hrgiger
02-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, I guess the DFX works with either dongle.

Hmm, they sent me my new dongle before I sent back my old one....

The only thing I don't like about the USB dongle is it takes up a USB port so now I have to unplug it everytime I want to use my printer. WOuld be nice if they could have made it like the parallel and had a port in the back for another accessory.