PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific model

rakennedy75
02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I realize this is a long shot but i was wondering if anyone has seen a Saleen S7 model yet. I would possibly like to purchase one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

cagey5
02-02-2004, 04:10 PM
You could try this, though it's in Max format.

http://www.3d02.com/3d_model_main.asp?id=581

rakennedy75
02-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, that looks perfect. However, I don't not have 3DSmax and I work primarily in Lightwave. Is it possible to bring this into Lightwave without any major complications. Even if I have to resurface/texture the car, thats not a big deal.

Thanks for your help

cagey5
02-02-2004, 04:27 PM
I have absolutely no experience of importing other file formats into Lightwave, but I know there are several on here that run both programs so hopefully someone will jump in and offer a bit of advice.

WCameron
02-02-2004, 05:58 PM
they usually come in horribly triangulated and polygond flipped inward. Although most of the ones I've ever tried have been freeware ones off the web so they may have been horrible models in the first place :-)

However i THINK there is a Lightwave export plugin for Max, so possibly e-mailing the author via the site and see if he could produce a lightwave model might be a possibility.

- Will.

Aegis
02-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Alternatively just install the 30-day trial version of Max (www.discreet.com) and export the object as a .3DS

hairy_llama
02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I got a model from turbosquid that was a max file and it opened up fine in lw...

Aegis
02-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Probably a .3DS - .max files aren't an open format and only 3DS Max can export or import them (there's a few object conversion utilities that will convert Max files but bizarrely you still need a copy of Max to use 'em...)

cresshead
02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
no no no!!!

if you want to get a max model into lightwave the best result would be for FBX format as this retains uv textures and quads

so get the 30day demo of max 5 or 6 or viz 4
[this way you'll get 75 days total max usage from demo's]
install fbx plugin and export from max as a fbx file

and while your at it get the obj plugin exporter too for max..

here's where you get the plugins:

www.maxplugins.de

you need to select the version of max that you are using...

for importing lwo files into max go get the lwo importer at the same address above.

jevinstudios
02-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Actually, the best solution I've come across yet (and the most affordable) for converting models is Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration ( http://www.righthemisphere.com ).

I use it almost on a daily basis in my studio to convert .lwo files to .obj & vice-versa; Deep X can also convert .3ds files to .lwo format quickly and easily. The only thing, tho, is that if you are trying to convert a .MAX file, you need a copy of 3D Studio Max to do this, due to it's closed file format (the same with Maya's .obj format as well -- you'll need Maya to convert files to/from .obj....).

But, if you find that there are a lot of .3ds files you have your eye on to use in LW, this is the ticket. Costs around $300.....

Much less expensive than Polytrans -- I've found it to be an extremely valuable resource!

rakennedy75
02-03-2004, 05:17 PM
I apologize for keeping this post going so long but I have been attempting to import this max file and haven't had any luck.

I tried a number of things to import this file. I downloaded the demo of 3ds v.6 and have tried the fbx export. I also downloaded the fbx converter for lightwave and the fbx plugin for lightwave. Lightwave won't allow me to include the plugin for some reason. I tried importing the file as a dxf and had no luck. It accepts it as a file but when importing the file, it creates a layer but doesn't import any geometry.

I have lightwave 7.5 for the mac and the only import option I currently have is the illustrator. Could I be missing any necessary plugins. Most files I am able to import from the open new command.

I already paid for the model so I would like to use it without paying a fortune for a plugin. Any suggestions at this point would be great.

I appreciate your time.