PDA

View Full Version : Making Selections in modeler

smcclurg
03-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Quick question from a real novice.

In modeler, how do you select just the polygons on the side of the object facing you?

I'm workin on a concave ellipse shape (think bunny ear) and want to give the polygons on the concave area a different surface than the rest of the object. I just can't figure out how to select the polygons on the inside of the ear without selecting the corresponding polygons on the backs side.

Red_Oddity
03-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Errrm...just make your selections in a shaded view?(Any shaded mode will do) Or am i making this sound too easy?

evenflcw
03-12-2003, 06:23 AM
smcclurg, you can't select only the backside or the frontside of a single polygon, as they are really one and the same. (This is true for 3d grafics in general and not specific to LW). And checking the option "double sided" in the Surface panel will not let you select "the backside" of a polygon either, it will just let the same texture show through on both sides of a polygon. What you'll have to do is copy your polygons onto another layer and then flip their normals ('f' key). The normals determine on what side a polygon should display a surface. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Later you can copy them back to the original layer.

Another approach would be to smoothshift or bevel the polygons out to give the bunny ears some substance.

mattclary
03-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Evenflcw, you misunderstood, he wants the polys on one side of an OBJECT. Red_oddity hit the nail on the head.

evenflcw
03-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Ah maybe your right. I reread it. And yes I seem to have missed the object part. Sorry If I offended your in any way smcclrg. Red oddity is spot on then. Almost any view but wireframe will let you do that.

smcclurg
03-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I figured out the shaded view solution soon after posting the question, but left it up to see if anyone had another solution.

Thanks again!