PDA

View Full Version : HD space -> Video Length

VGPInc
02-02-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm running VT[2] and have a little 110Gb Video RAID and I was curious if anyone out there knew a way to convert minutes to Gb's in Toaster, using just standard uncompressed video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
-Adam

mgrusin
02-02-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm sure someone will post the exact numbers, but if I remember right uncompressed RTV is in the vicinity of 80GB / hour. For comparison, DV uses approximately 12GB / hour, and is a good choice for small or slower drives (or longer projects) if you don't need the pristine quality of RTV.

Don't forget that cache will use up some of your drive space, but as long as you're not doing an effects extravaganza it's usually not too much.

Hope this helps! -MG.

Jim_C
02-02-2004, 12:30 PM
http://www.rorke.com/avcalc/calculator/RDAVStorageCalculator.exe

that link will dload a nice little codec storage calculator that does rtv also.

PIZAZZ
02-02-2004, 05:29 PM
We basically use the conversion of 1 minute of RTV equals 1 gigabyte.

So 1 minute = 1 gig.

Simple math to figure on.

prospector
02-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Pretty cool tool.
Just about every video codec there is I think.

Jim Capillo
02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by prospector
Pretty cool tool.

Yup ! Already had it on the hard drive, but forgot it was there..... :rolleyes:

bradl
02-02-2004, 07:47 PM
As mentioned, always use 'gig a minute' and you will be very close to actual.

VGPInc
02-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded! MUCH appreciated :)

SBowie
02-03-2004, 06:03 AM
That's a great little utility - how on earth did you stumble on it? I tried to find some info on it from their home page w/o success.

Paul Lara
02-03-2004, 06:05 AM
It's just something they put together for their customers.

SBowie
02-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Paul - I was looking to find a page listing details, and some info that would answer questions like 'would they permit a link from an outside webpage' with proper attribution.

(I don't want to stick a direct link on my site w/o permission, and yet I can't find it on their site to direct people to their page.)

Jim_C
02-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by SBowie
...questions like 'would they permit a link from an outside webpage' with proper attribution.

ooops... well... ooops....
:rolleyes:

I've had the app for a while, can't remember where original link came from. I went to site also (Rorke data) to find info or link and couldn't either so a google search for the filename itself gave me this page:
http://www.slashcam.com/directory/Software_Tools-Miscellaneous.html#k834
That page gave me above link.

Cool app.

Jim

SBowie
02-03-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm sure there's no harm done, Jim - I just don't want to overstep. I'll send 'em an e-mail and see what they say. :)

SCS
02-03-2004, 05:42 PM
This may be slightly off-topic (and I think it was covered somewhere else) however:
I made a 1 minute clip consisting of 75% NTSC bars from the 'Patterns' folder with 1 minute of 1k Tone (48k stereo).

This clip rendered as an RTV in VT[3] = 1,241,082 kb.
This clip rendered in AE 5.5 using the RTV format = 1,855,998 kb.
This clip rendered in AE 5.5 using Uncomp AVI = 2,468,960 kb.

If these clips are truly uncompressed, why the file size difference?

bradl
02-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SBowie
I'm sure there's no harm done, Jim - I just don't want to overstep. I'll send 'em an e-mail and see what they say. :) Steve, I downloaded that calculator over two years ago. If I remember right the topic came up on the beta forums and I posted a direct link to it and several people got it then. However, the link at Rorke is not shown to you until you fill out a brief contact or 'more information' survey. So, they probably don't want a direct link made too public. But then again, they may appreciate the traffic to their site...

ScorpioProd
02-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Those sizes mentioned look like the RTV from VT[3] is a "plain" RTV.

The RTV from AE is an RTV PLUS alpha channel.

And the uncompressed AVI from AE is in RGB space not YUV.

But these are just educated guesses. :)