PDA

View Full Version : UV Texturing - I need help

fabmedia
03-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Could someone be kind enough to explain how to UV a simple block of wood. I can't get the texture to line up in the direction that i want. I've ripped apart a couple of models that I found but cannot figure out how they managed to get the textures to lie in the direction that they are in (diagonal). Not that I'm too worried about doing stuff in a diagonal.

Another question is how do I edit a texture UV without deleting it and starting over. For example naming a new part or polygon under an existing UV texture map.

I'm confused and miserable. I've been trying to get something to line up all day and nothing is working. I also have an arc that I have to map as well, and hell if I can figure out how I'm going to be able to do that....

Arlen

Red_Oddity
03-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Just try one of these tutorials.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html#UV

They should provide a solution, i'm not going to type a solution here to something that is explained over and over in these tutorials.

Hope this helps.

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 10:41 AM
I really didn't find anything there that fit's with the problem that I'm having. But I do have a couple of other items to ponder.

I have attached an image that I have quickly rendered of the arbor. There are sunken screws and screw-holes (the reason for the UV). Initially the arbor had a curve but it became too difficult to try to figure out how to map the texture to the curve.

One more question though... Now if I have a number of similar items as noted in the images, how can I share the same UV and keep the pattern from repeating or misaligning? Should I use atlas and use unwrap or what? I just don't know how to best go about this...

thanks,
Arlen

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 11:43 AM
I forgot to ask, but can you help point out how I should approach handling the UV's either planer, or atlas and what I should breakup...

Thanks,
A

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm making some progress. I took a single leg of the arbor and UV mapped it (atlas). I layered an image on to it using the UV coordinates, then took it into LW. I used Unwrap2 and saved that image then did my magic. Isn't this the long way around? Or am I just going to have to bite the biscuit when it comes to detail?

So am I on the right track?

Arlen

Simon
03-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi ... my advise would be to think simple. If you can use just plain old cubic image mapping use it. Then perhaps, where you need to add detail like the streaks under the bolts, then make a planar uv of the sides, and use that just for the diffuse channel, but still keep the colour channel for nice and easy cubic mapping.

I find it very time consuming making uvs that make sense, even if you think you know what you are doing. Atlas seems to bung the polys all over the place sometimes, and you can spend ages unwelding the damn things and moving them around trying to get it in a logical order. Or perhaps that's just because I'm not very good at it!

So in answer to your first question

Could someone be kind enough to explain how to UV a simple block of wood.

I'd say don't! Just use cubic mapping.

Simon.

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 06:11 PM
I think I can agree with you for the most part on the regular non-UV mapping. I think in this particular case though, I'm dealing with some areas that i need to have particular attention to detail. This is a complete pain in the ***, because now I'm loosing detail in areas of the image, noticably the the texture and grain. I guess I can fake something. Up until now, I've done nothing but non-UV mapping, and I really need to figure this stuff out now before a client drops a bomb on me. Anyway here's an image...

Arlen

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 02:37 AM
Sorry for this but I just need some feedback. Again, I've been using Unwrap 2 and it's been a slow process. I'm sure that there is a lot more I can do with the textures (how I'm going to get dirt between the connecting boards I don't know), so any and all help is appreciated.

Arlen

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 02:37 AM
another...

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 02:38 AM
last one...

Simon
03-13-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi! Well it looks to me like you've done a pretty good job so far. I think you just need to look at some of the Newtek tuts that Red_Oddity suggested, they're all pretty good.

A good option to consider for making dirt maps is baking radiosity. It's really easy as you just need to make 1 atlas UV for the whole object, bake background radiosity onto it with the surface baker plugin in Layout.

Play around with the resulting image in a paint program so there's decent contrast between the light and dark areas, invert it so there's white in the inaccessable areas (ie where you want dirt) and black averywhere else, then use that as an alpha for some different coloured procedurals. Using it like that means it doesn't have to be very high res, and it's easy to change the appearance of the dirt.

Simon.

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh my god! I hope this get's easier as it goes along.

Thanks for the compliment. It took all day yesterday to figure it out. The only way I could do it was by breaking down each object and giving it it's own UV map. I actually thought i could get away with giving a bunch of objects a single map. If so I can't figure it out. Can you do that?

So I have 6 unique maps and 6 unique surfaces. And I have a few more maps that I have to create with a couple of generic surfaces.

A couple of questions though concerning what you had brought up with baking...

1.) I've used photoshop for a very long time, how do you create a alpha from an image in a layer? 8 years and I've never done that... tried doing yesterday to no avail.

2.) I'm assuming that you'd use the alpha in LW right? There's a turtial by DV Garage that uses the alpha in photoshop to add grime maps to the surface there.

3.) If I have a number of different UV's for my object, can I make a single atlas for my object? If so then where do I do it? Modeler or LW.

4.) Can you assign different objects that have exactly the same structure the same UV or are you asking for trouble?

There are others... but I can't put them into words.... maybe later.

Arlen

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 11:59 AM
oh yes and the last question...

5.) for UV maps, do the coordiinates of the map start in the bottom left hand corner? and can I chop off the excess?

A

Rory_L
03-14-2003, 03:05 AM
You`ve textured the arbour nicely, but what`s got me confused is why you needed to mess around with UVs in the first place. The model is all simple, geometric shapes, mostly planar in the X, Y and Z: what stopped you planar and cylindrically mapping the sucker?

Cheers,

R

fabmedia
03-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Well, well, well, someone has to ask....

I wanted/needed to UV map the item because I have placed screws in holes that needed to be taken into consideration. I wanted some specific detail around the screws that that was the only way that I could see it being done. I know it is a simple object buy sooner or later, I will need to do UV's and it is really far superior than plain ol' mapping in some instances. Originally, the arbor had a curve, which was the initial reason why I was going to UV the object.

I had started another thread in a different area of the forum which has some questions that need to be answered... maybe you can help.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?postid=11510

Ciao!
Arlen