PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to VT3

Jdeutsch
02-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased the upgrade to VT3 and I have not installed it yet. I plan on doing so within the next week.

Here are the system specs:

1.7ghz dual
1mb ram
20gb C system drive
110gb D IDE drive
7x35gb UW 160 Scsi 10krpm
NVidia GeForce4 dual monitors
Windows 2000

What would you suggest I do? Any hardware altering? Please let me know the best way to set up our system with VT3.

THANKS!!
Jay

Scott Bates
02-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Your system appears essentially the same as mine Jay except for the drive space and the dual monitors, wish I had both :) .

I didn't change anything in my system prior to installing VT[3] at the beginning of the public beta and have been using it with no problems since. Just make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed, Win2k SP4 and the latest Nvidia drivers. Although some people have said they've had to revert to older versions of the drivers, I'm using the latest with no problems.

If you have any problems uninstalling VT[2] and getting a clean VT[3] install see my post in This Thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11282).

Jim Capillo
02-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by sbates
Although some people have said they've had to revert to older versions of the drivers, I'm using the latest with no problems.

I was one of those folks - installed their latest version (a while ago) and started to have funky playback problems. I remembered reading something about it and went back to 44.23 (?) on a hunch and everything straightened out. I still have it in zip if anyone needs it....... it's big, though - about 8 megs - too big to post here.

Videolink
02-07-2004, 07:52 AM
I would recommend you move up to 2.4Ghz processors at least
a bigger system drive (just so you dont fill it too fast 40G or 60G)
maybe double the ram to 2G
other than that, sounds like a great rig
Good Luck

SBowie
02-07-2004, 06:33 PM
If you go to the trouble of replacing the system HD (a good idea), you might want to consider jumping to XP PRo at the same time. You're going to wind up doing it sooner or later anyway...

Videolink
02-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Many studios and networks are still using windows 2000
Im sure this year most will change over to WinXPpro.

videoguy
02-08-2004, 10:10 AM
I higly recomend that you upgrade to xp pro i find it to be extremely stable and you will see an increase in performance compared to win2k also xp pro has true hyper threading support whereas win2k it isnt trully implemented in

SBowie
02-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Ditto, and so do both Paul and Andrew - having used it since VT[3] came out I highly recommend it.

ScorpioProd
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Of course, some users do happily use Win2k SP4, myself included. :)

It's totally stable for me, and as for hyperthreading. Well, with the amount of threading that VT[3] does anyway, the two processors are used as much as they're gonna be.

Paul Lara
02-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
...as for hyperthreading. Well, with the amount of threading that VT[3] does anyway, the two processors are used as much as they're gonna be.

Actually, hyperthreading in XP does provide addtional performance benefits for those using dv clips.

PIZAZZ
02-09-2004, 08:12 AM
I second the XP sentiment.

XP much mo betta' round here.